2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cap question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Muskyford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cap question?

Hi guys, I just got my new 2017 250 Lariat. Was wanting to add bed cap. Had a Leer on older truck, was pleased. Considering ARE and Leer but open to others. Does any one have any pics? I am concerned about fit and function of the back window part with the flare on the tailgate cap( I also have to tailgate step option and the ultimate camera set up and am wondering about the chmsl camera as it protrudes off the bed light...) Overall super impressed with the truck!!

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 PM
GNX Guy
New User
This is one of the many reasons I have not ordered a 2017. My 2012 F-350 is bad enough and due to the design, the back window does not seal properly as they did on my 1992, 1998 and 2001 F350's with a cap and it leaks big time. (I had gone back to the cap place multiple times) Not to mention that funky trim at the bottom of the back window looks so out of place. I've been looking on the streets for any 2016 F150's with a cap just to see what it looks like and have not seen one yet as the brochures or websites don't show good close up pictures of this area. (probably because it looks like crap)

Joe

Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Don't buy the cap! It ruins the look of the truck!

Actually, its your money and you can do whatever you please, I just personally hate the look of truck caps. The 3rd brake lamp camera would be made kind of invalid as would the bed step - things you already mentioned. I'd think about it, and want to see images first. A tonneau cover, whether hard or soft tri-fold or roll up, also gives you dry storage and I think still looks pretty decent.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 AM
GNX Guy
New User
It's not about looks, its about usefulness and functionality.

I'm not a big fan at all of the new look of the truck, it lack aggressiveness compared to last years model. I'll end up getting a 2018, I'm sure I'll get used to the looks.

Joe

Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GNX Guy
It's not about looks, its about usefulness and functionality.

I'm not a big fan at all of the new look of the truck, it lack aggressiveness compared to last years model. I'll end up getting a 2018, I'm sure I'll get used to the looks.

Joe
Would have to ask what the functionality and usefullness is of a cap? It makes it hard to haul large items with and no possibilty of a 5er or gooseneck (without taking cap off & storing). I would agree the locking folding/rolling covers give you the best fuctionality and usefullness. Otherwise the cap is for look and a large locking trunk.

But, that is just my opinion

Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it never rained or snowed I would understand the complete resistance to a cap, other than locking thing up. I don't like caps but for many years it was next to a necessity when working in and out of town and carrying not only tools but supplies as well to different job sites. A van would have actually been preferential and I went that route for a while but came back to a pickup because I like trucks. Necessary for some and a nuisance and unsightly to others. That is why we each are blessed with choices, for the most part: Green trucks, LED headlights on anything but a CC, well, you get the picture.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 PM
GNX Guy
New User
Folks should not assume that everyone uses their truck in the same manner. I for one work out of my truck and most of the time the back is completely full and I like to keep my things out of the weather. A tonneau cover wouldn't be tall enough to accomplish that task. If I have larger things to hall I use one of my enclosed trailers.

I don't use one of those hack job aluminum caps. I always buy a top-of-the-line fiberglass painted the match cap

Joe

Originally Posted by Robmiezer
Would have to ask what the functionality and usefullness is of a cap? It makes it hard to haul large items with and no possibilty of a 5er or gooseneck (without taking cap off & storing). I would agree the locking folding/rolling covers give you the best fuctionality and usefullness. Otherwise the cap is for look and a large locking trunk.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
Don't buy the cap! It ruins the look of the truck!

Actually, its your money and you can do whatever you please, I just personally hate the look of truck caps. The 3rd brake lamp camera would be made kind of invalid as would the bed step - things you already mentioned. I'd think about it, and want to see images first. A tonneau cover, whether hard or soft tri-fold or roll up, also gives you dry storage and I think still looks pretty decent.
Why doesnt the tailgate step work with a Cap, I have one on my f-150 and use the step all the time no problem.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:09 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Robmiezer

We have a handicap scooter and lift in the bed of our truck, we need the cap to secure and store that equipment out of the weather, I do not pull a 5er or gooseneck. I also need to keep my generators secured and out of the weather while camping.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by wb6anp
Why doesnt the tailgate step work with a Cap, I have one on my f-150 and use the step all the time no problem.
I guess I'm thinking of it from my 6'6" tall perspective...lol.

I understand the cap could be useful depending upon what the purpose of your truck is. Storing tools / generators makes sense; things that wouldn't fit under even a hard, locking tonneau cover.

I just personally hate the look, and feels like a lot of useful purposes of the truck would be invalidated but once again, depends on use.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,666 Likes on 2,739 Posts
A cap makes sleeping in the bed a lot better. I had to sleep in the bed of my truck last week when I pulled into Elk Camp. It was dark, snowing and windy. Setting up my tent in those conditions wasn't going to happen.

I also cook on a propane stove in the bed. It works great when conditions are nasty out.

I think the look of a topper on a long bed SuperDuty is great. I have a Leer on my current truck. Leer makes the best looking topper, but I'm not convinced that their fit and finish (back glass hardware) is the greatest. Paint quality has been very good.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Windy City
Cross-Country
I made sure I had my cap manufacture chosen prior to ordering my truck. I have been ordering trucks set up exactly how I want them for more than 25 years now.

I always order my caps without side windows as I feel they are useless and invite theft, leaks, and other problems.

I know a lot of people who live in more rural areas need a truck without a cap for hauling, etc. but I live in a large enough metropolitan area that its not needed. If I need to haul something oversized or whatever, I have a whole fleet of trucks that are much better equipped to do such. Also my truck is only any sort of a daily driver if I chose for it to be. I have many vehicles available to choose from daily.

The last cap I had on my prior Super Duty was an ARE which has been problem free with the exception of the road salt eating up the handle's lock core. Simply replacing the core (once) fixed the problem.

This time I am buying a Snug Top Outback. I will have it ordered prior to taking delivery of the truck and hopefully it will be at the shop by the time the truck arrives. Off with the tailgate and on with the cargo doors ASAP. In my opinion, tailgates are the single biggest negative on trucks.

http://http://www.snugtop.com/product/outback

Snug Top told me they should be ready to ship by December for the new model Super Dutys.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Windy City
I made sure I had my cap manufacture chosen prior to ordering my truck. I have been ordering trucks set up exactly how I want them for more than 25 years now.

I always order my caps without side windows as I feel they are useless and invite theft, leaks, and other problems.

I know a lot of people who live in more rural areas need a truck without a cap for hauling, etc. but I live in a large enough metropolitan area that its not needed. If I need to haul something oversized or whatever, I have a whole fleet of trucks that are much better equipped to do such. Also my truck is only any sort of a daily driver if I chose for it to be. I have many vehicles available to choose from daily.

The last cap I had on my prior Super Duty was an ARE which has been problem free with the exception of the road salt eating up the handle's lock core. Simply replacing the core (once) fixed the problem.

This time I am buying a Snug Top Outback. I will have it ordered prior to taking delivery of the truck and hopefully it will be at the shop by the time the truck arrives. Off with the tailgate and on with the cargo doors ASAP. In my opinion, tailgates are the single biggest negative on trucks.

http://http://www.snugtop.com/product/outback

Snug Top told me they should be ready to ship by December for the new model Super Dutys.
Do they add/or move your tailgate camera to the outback?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Windy City
Cross-Country
There is a place for camera mounting, I would assume that would be up to the individual cap dealer.

As I recall the tailgate camera was optional on my truck and I excluded it. But, I did get the trailer camera and assumed I would be mounting that on the back of the cap.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:50 PM
dirtyfingers
New User
Tailgate removal, caps and rear cameras

Originally Posted by Windy City
There is a place for camera mounting, I would assume that would be up to the individual cap dealer.

As I recall the tailgate camera was optional on my truck and I excluded it. But, I did get the trailer camera and assumed I would be mounting that on the back of the cap.

How did that work out? My understanding is this: The truck needs to have the camera installed, which talks to the screen and in the f150's the "pro trailer backup assist" (which is standard/inseperable w tow pkg). (Not sure if 2017 Super Dutys have PTBA as a standard when you select a tow pkg.) In removing the tailgate, the OEM camera gets unplugged and it goes bye bye with the tailgate. A separate camera, such as an high mount brake light camera combo is then connected from the topper to the truck.

My concern is, is the new camera setup accurate in spacial representation?
Does it create electronic hiccups?
Does it play w the "pro trailer backup assist"?

I find the idea of removing a perfectly good OEM camera and replacing it w aftermarket a little offensive, but this is what I was told.

I agree, the tailgate is the most useless part of a truck (and vans are awful, smelly, miserable, junky) so I do plan to put a double barn door cap on my new truck. This camera issue confuses me though.

Any and all input is appreciated !