2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Bypass Oil Filtration

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 PM
dadz34
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bypass Oil Filtration

I'm curious if anyone plans to install a bypass filtration system on your new 2017? If so, which product do you recommend from your history of running one on previous 's? I notice a lot of threads on the older 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 engines but not so many on the 6.7L.

FRANZ ($225), AMSoil ($400), or the FS-2500?
or Others?

I like this new truck so much I might just keep it around a lot longer than my previous ones...(but I've said those words in my past only to trade them in on a new model later on). I guess I am hooked on that new leather smell!

Old 10-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Seems like to me that oil changes every 5-6k will do the same as a filter system.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:10 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Given the oil capacity and extensive engineering on the 6.7, I personally would not install any aftermarket oil filtration system on these trucks.

They may have some application in heavy industrial environments, but even then, following the manufacturer's severe duty maintenance recommendations would probably yield much better long-term results.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:48 PM
dadz34
Senior User
So, maybe the research on the internet is out-dated?

Considering 80% of the wear & tear from normal use occurs from contaminants between 4-20 microns, and previous year's stock filtration only removes larger than 20 microns, is this not worth the investment on the 6.7?

What "extensive engineering" has been done? Are today's filters that much better than previous versions used on 6.4, 6.0, and 7.3?

I'm really not trying to waste anyone's time (including mine), so I would be glad to consider information which proves otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
I was mainly referring to the extensive engineering Ford did (with AVL of Austria) on the Scorpion engine. It is all about low friction and close tolerances. (look at the weight of the oil).

Given the large amount of oil and the large filters we use today, I can't see an extra bypass doing much good. My concern would be that anytime you add something into a pressurized oil system, you will definitely affect overall oil pressure.

Also, could doing this have a negative effect on the warranty?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonB1
I was mainly referring to the extensive engineering Ford did (with AVL of Austria) on the Scorpion engine. It is all about low friction and close tolerances. (look at the weight of the oil).

Given the large amount of oil and the large filters we use today, I can't see an extra bypass doing much good. My concern would be that anytime you add something into a pressurized oil system, you will definitely affect overall oil pressure.

Also, could doing this have a negative effect on the warranty?

Ummm, you don't know much about bypass filtration then or have never looked at the inside of a modern diesel engine. 1 piston squirter easily flows 10x the amount of oil that is "bypassed" and run through a 1-2 micron auxiliary oil filter (in addition to the factory 10-20 micron filter). Running one certainly wouldn't do any harm if you can easily find a place to tap into the system. There was an article recently in one of the diesel mags that installed a bypass system on a truck that had some 5000 mile oil in the engine. Within a few hours, the bypass filter cleaned up that oil very nicely as evidenced by the before/after Blackstone analysis.

Adam

Old 10-25-2016, 04:01 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Adam R
Ummm, you don't know much about bypass filtration then or have never looked at the inside of a modern diesel engine. 1 piston squirter easily flows 10x the amount of oil that is "bypassed" and run through a 1-2 micron auxiliary oil filter (in addition to the factory 10-20 micron filter). Running one certainly wouldn't do any harm if you can easily find a place to tap into the system. There was an article recently in one of the diesel mags that installed a bypass system on a truck that had some 5000 mile oil in the engine. Within a few hours, the bypass filter cleaned up that oil very nicely as evidenced by the before/after Blackstone analysis.

Adam

You're right, I'm not a mechanical engineer by trade. I have no doubt they clean oil better than a standard filter as they do have a lower pass-through than the stock filter. I just don't think they are necessary on any modern engine (not used commercially) and I believe they will lower the overall oil pressure.

I also would check on the warranty aspect.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can perhaps extend the interval, but that certainly would affect the warranty, so you're past the 100k point when you can gain. I would think it falls into the nice things that don't offer an actual return on investment.

Your own figures beg the question. If the factory spec is a 10 micron filter, and 80% of damaging particulates are 4-20 microns, what percentage are between 4-10 microns? That's the number you're targeting, and my guess is it's a pretty small number proportional to the damage caused by 10-20 micron junk. That's where I would want to start to determine the value of a system like you're mentioning.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
You're right, I'm not a mechanical engineer by trade. I have no doubt they clean oil better than a standard filter as they do have a lower pass-through than the stock filter. I just don't think they are necessary on any modern engine (not used commercially) and I believe they will lower the overall oil pressure.

I also would check on the warranty aspect.

Good luck.

I am a ME, but it doesn't take a advanced degree to understand the benefits of better filtration. The reality is that an oil pump flows a far greater amount of oil than the engine actually requires for proper lubrication, otherwise it couldn't deal with worn bearing and larger clearances after 300K miles of use. The Isuzu 3.9L that I grafted into my Landcruiser came with a factory bypass filter system that I went ahead and retained because it works and has zero impact on the overall oil pressure. In this engine, there is a massive oil pressure relief valve to dump excess oil back into the sump once the gallies were pressurized to 100 psi. There were two other pressure relief valves elsewhere inside that engine to further lower the pressure in gallies where it didn't need high pressure oil. Both turbo's (custom compound system) were taking a total of 1.5 gallons per minute and had no effect on the overall oil pressure of the engine. A sub 1 mm (.039") orifice feeding the bypass filter is nothing compared to the 4 piston squirters flowing at full pressure, 20 at idle when warm or 100 psi during a cold start. Again, the oil pump is spec'd to flow a far greater amount of oil than the engine will ever need if the engine is properly maintained. A bypass system helps keep the oil significantly cleaner in the long run.

Adam

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Adam R
I am a ME, but it doesn't take a advanced degree to understand the benefits of better filtration. The reality is that an oil pump flows a far greater amount of oil than the engine actually requires for proper lubrication, otherwise it couldn't deal with worn bearing and larger clearances after 300K miles of use. The Isuzu 3.9L that I grafted into my Landcruiser came with a factory bypass filter system that I went ahead and retained because it works and has zero impact on the overall oil pressure. In this engine, there is a massive oil pressure relief valve to dump excess oil back into the sump once the gallies were pressurized to 100 psi. There were two other pressure relief valves elsewhere inside that engine to further lower the pressure in gallies where it didn't need high pressure oil. Both turbo's (custom compound system) were taking a total of 1.5 gallons per minute and had no effect on the overall oil pressure of the engine. A sub 1 mm (.039") orifice feeding the bypass filter is nothing compared to the 4 piston squirters flowing at full pressure, 20 at idle when warm or 100 psi during a cold start. Again, the oil pump is spec'd to flow a far greater amount of oil than the engine will ever need if the engine is properly maintained. A bypass system helps keep the oil significantly cleaner in the long run.

Adam
I think everyone agrees that it keeps oil cleaner, but I think the question is:
Are these systems really necessary on a modern diesel engine? Certainly an engine designed with one from the factory is going to work well and I would think that it is engineered to ensure no loss of oil pressure.

What the OP was talking about was an aftermarket system to be added to his new 6.7.

I think everyone agrees there would be some benefit, especially if he plans on keeping the truck into the 250K+ range.

Considering that he probably wouldn't install (I don't know that, I am just using common sense) anything that would void his factory 100K warranty, how much benefit would he derive from this system?

I haven't looked into the plumbing of an aftermarket system, so they may very well be excellent, but I would imagine fitment on something like that would be difficult as well.

FWIW, I always thought most wear occurred on start-up. That is, a cold motor getting cranked first thing. I always thought a device that could keep a small amt. of oil pressure on the engine could relly reduce wear, especially on things like rings and cam lobes.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is absolutely amazing that my 2001 7.3 L with almost 240K miles is still running well after reading about the lack of filtration the OEM style filters provide. And when I talk to the fellows who run the school bus garage and their Navistars are running close to 600K when they sell them? Absolutely beyond belief. And in reading signatures here the average life of a truck is probably less than 3 years in the hands of the owners? I have no doubt these systems will take finer particles away but there is also a point of diminishing returns, right for some, not so sure about the rest of us.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:07 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not familiar with the Oil filter location or space constraints on the 6.7's so take my question as curiosity as well as a possible solution.

Has anyone researched manufactures to see if anyone manufactures a 4 micron filter that meets ford specs for bypass pressure and flow rate? I would be surprised if there wasn't a filter used in the marine or racing community that would meet the specs.

Is there enough free space around the filter to install an after market filter with 4 micron filtration?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Given the oil capacity and extensive engineering on the 6.7, I personally would not install any aftermarket oil filtration system on these trucks.

They may have some application in heavy industrial environments, but even then, following the manufacturer's severe duty maintenance recommendations would probably yield much better long-term results.
X100

That is UNLESS you are running that new and improved JC Whitney Toilet Paper oil filer system, but you got to run Charmin....

Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rasalas
It is absolutely amazing that my 2001 7.3 L with almost 240K miles is still running well after reading about the lack of filtration the OEM style filters provide. And when I talk to the fellows who run the school bus garage and their Navistars are running close to 600K when they sell them? Absolutely beyond belief. And in reading signatures here the average life of a truck is probably less than 3 years in the hands of the owners? I have no doubt these systems will take finer particles away but there is also a point of diminishing returns, right for some, not so sure about the rest of us.
There's two things that will survive nuclear war:

Cockroaches

and Ford 7.3s.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
X100

That is UNLESS you are running that new and improved JC Whitney Toilet Paper oil filer system, but you got to run Charmin....
Thanks for the memory. I had forgotten all about those engine plugging pieces of crap>> Good laugh, and P T Barnum.

Quick Reply: Bypass Oil Filtration