6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 Ford F250 6.0 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Ford F250 6.0 no crank no start

Hello my name is Adam,
good day to everyone here I first off would like to thank everyone on the interweb for the hard work and dedication thats been put into this site and other car and truck forums out there it is a blessing to have good people around giving good support and I am grateful.
I have a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 with 234000 Miles I bought it 4 months ago it's a Texas truck now in Ohio I have had a recent intermittent issue with starting when I go to start it up in the mornings I would get a check engine light with relays clicking going on and off on and off in synchronization with the check engine light I have checked the ICP the ficm glow plug module and the grounds sometimes it would be all lights ABS check engine check gages the wrench wait to start battery and airbag when I go to start it does nothing sometimes it will bump the starter when I'm holding it to start when all the lights are on and the check engine light is off as well I do not get communication to my ScanGauge it's only when the check engine light is solid on I hear the fuel pump and and I can start it scan gauge comes on and it starts up runs for a few seconds then dies before it dies it runs funny wait to start light comes on then dies maybe after two or three times restarting it after dying it will run fine for a while and randomly down the road it will do the same thing with the wait to start light and will cut off now that it is colder I thought maybe putting it on the warmer would help but that seems to have no effect it started up on a 50-degree morning but wouldn't start up plugged at 110 degrees. My fuse is running real short with this truck and I hate to see it go because it does drive like a dream I love the 6-liter but hate the problems I have a multimeter and a ScanGauge 2 for my diagnostic abilityI am throwing engine code for Cam and crank sensor it has six month old batteries I also noticed I started it up and my voltage was 11.5 and staying within 10.5 + 11.5 shouldn't the alternator be picking up at this point even at idle I had my foot on the gas at a thousand RPMs and still nothing and no change in voltage letting it sit idling for a couple minutes the alternator picked up and it jumped from 11.3 to 13.7 and stayed between 12.5 and 13.5 after that. please excuse the excessive post this is my first post and I thank you for anybody who takes the time and reads this I am struggling right now and could use any sort of help on this issue thank you in advance and thank you for your time

Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM
mohoneywell
Senior User
Originally Posted by OUTATIME
Hello my name is Adam,
good day to everyone here I first off would like to thank everyone on the interweb for the hard work and dedication thats been put into this site and other car and truck forums out there it is a blessing to have good people around giving good support and I am grateful.

I have a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 with 234000 Miles I bought it 4 months ago it's a Texas truck now in Ohio I have had a recent intermittent issue with starting when I go to start it up in the mornings I would get a check engine light with relays clicking going on and off on and off in synchronization with the check engine light

I have checked the ICP the ficm glow plug module and the grounds sometimes it would be all lights ABS check engine check gages the wrench wait to start battery and airbag when I go to start it does nothing sometimes it will bump the starter when I'm holding it to start

when all the lights are on and the check engine light is off as well I do not get communication to my ScanGauge it's only when the check engine light is solid on I hear the fuel pump and and I can start it scan gauge comes on and it starts up runs for a few seconds then dies before it dies it runs funny wait to start light comes on then dies maybe after two or three times restarting it after dying it will run fine for a while and randomly down the road it will do the same thing with the wait to start light and will cut off

now that it is colder I thought maybe putting it on the warmer would help but that seems to have no effect it started up on a 50-degree morning but wouldn't start up plugged at 110 degrees. My fuse is running real short with this truck and I hate to see it go because it does drive like a dream I love the 6-liter but hate the problems

I have a multimeter and a ScanGauge 2 for my diagnostic abilityI am throwing engine code for Cam and crank sensor it has six month old batteries I also noticed I started it up and my voltage was 11.5 and staying within 10.5 + 11.5 shouldn't the alternator be picking up at this point even at idle I had my foot on the gas at a thousand RPMs and still nothing and no change in voltage letting it sit idling for a couple minutes the alternator picked up and it jumped from 11.3 to 13.7 and stayed between 12.5 and 13.5 after that.

please excuse the excessive post this is my first post and I thank you for anybody who takes the time and reads this I am struggling right now and could use any sort of help on this issue thank you in advance and thank you for your time
hitting the return bar between thoughts helps us organize ours.

bad battery cable/ connection jumps to mind.

thats about all the help i can offer right now.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also noticed I started it up and my voltage was 11.5 and staying within 10.5 + 11.5 shouldn't the alternator be picking up at this point even at idle I had my foot on the gas at a thousand RPMs and still nothing and no change in voltage letting it sit idling for a couple minutes the alternator picked up and it jumped from 11.3 to 13.7 and stayed between 12.5 and 13.5 after that.
This is "normal" because of the stock 110 AMP alternator.
That is why folks upgrade to higher output alternators (like my DC XP270 AMP and cable upgrade from Ed @ ficmrepair.com).
The glow plugs remain on for UP TO 2 Minutes (regardless of the "wait-to-start" dash board lite). During this period, the alternator is unable to maintain the voltage in the system above whatever you see (10.5 to 11.5 is pretty common).
Once the glow plugs turn off - the voltage jumps up to mid 13s like you see.

It's pretty common for the FICM to work too hard with 10.5 volts and for it's power amplifier circuits to go bad over time as well. The Scangauge2 is ESSENTIAL (or an ODB2 blue-tooth adapter and a smartphone/tablet APP) to be able to monitor the information available directly from the PCM.

There are 3 FICM voltages, 2 are typically 12volts and 1 is 48 volts (the output voltage which is used to activate the fuel injectors).
It's critical for the main voltage to NOT drop below 45 (+/-) ever! IF it does it's an indication your FICM is/has gone bad..

So, welcome to the FTE 6L world. Get the required tools to determine what needs to be fixed BEFORE you start throwing money at "suspected" problems.

An informed 6L owner is the most likely to be a happy 6L owner.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Hello my name is Adam,
good day to everyone here. I first off would like to thank everyone on the interweb for the hard work and dedication thats been put into this site and other car and truck forums out there. It is a blessing to have good people around giving good support and I am grateful.

I have a 2006 Ford F250 6.0 with 234000 Miles I bought it 4 months ago. It's a Texas truck now in Ohio. I have had a recent intermittent issue with starting.

When I go to start it up in the mornings I would get a check engine light with relays clicking going on and off on and off in synchronization with the check engine light. I have checked the ICP, the ficm glow plug module and the grounds. Sometimes it would be all lights: ABS, check engine, check gages, the wrench, wait to start, battery and airbag.

When I go to start it does nothing. Sometimes it will bump the starter when I'm holding it to start. When all the lights are on and the check engine light is off as well I do not get communication to my ScanGauge. It's only when the check engine light is solid on I [can] hear the fuel pump and I can start it. Scan gauge comes on and it starts up runs for a few seconds then dies. Before it dies it runs funny. Wait to start light comes on then dies. Maybe after two or three times restarting it after dying it will run fine for a while. And randomly down the road it will do the same thing with the wait to start light and will cut off.

Now that it is colder I thought maybe putting it on the warmer (block heater) would help but that seems to have no effect. It started up on a 50-degree morning but wouldn't start up plugged at 110 degrees.

My fuse is running real short with this truck and I hate to see it go because it does drive like a dream. I love the 6-liter but hate the problems. I have a multimeter and a ScanGauge 2 for my diagnostic ability. I am throwing engine code for Cam and crank sensor, it has six month old batteries. I also noticed I started it up and my voltage was 11.5 and staying within 10.5 + 11.5. Shouldn't the alternator be picking up at this point even at idle? I had my foot on the gas at a thousand RPMs and still nothing, and no change in voltage. Letting it sit idling for a couple minutes the alternator picked up and it jumped from 11.3 to 13.7 and stayed between 12.5 and 13.5 after that.

Please excuse the excessive post. This is my first post and I thank you for anybody who takes the time and reads this. I am struggling right now and could use any sort of help on this issue. Thank you in advance and thank you for your time.
The ScanGage is coming on normal, it doesn't necessarily wake up on initial cranking. The alternator is working correctly for the undersized 110a it is.

Sounds like a harness wiring issue, but right now my head hurts after interpretation.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I see you made it Adam... So how are things progressing?

Adam found me through the Help page over at the Diesel Garage, being this is his first 6.0L I invited him over to get a little help and read up on questions concerning his truck.

Did you find a shift interlock solenoid?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
no go

Went to go start it this morning and nothing... Cleaned the grounds load tested the batterys both good. Fuse able links are intact.
I hear nothing no com I get good ficm voltage all 3 ways.I manually checked the ficm as well with eot at 50* as well as 100*
I'm pulling my hair out!

using a jumper? Best way to test cables?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
My question is what stops the starter from being able to engage. I can bump the starter all day it's got solid connection. Will not fire up which makes me believe It's something not giving the computer the power to signal the injectors the pump, starter.....
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
This is "normal" because of the stock 110 AMP alternator.
That is why folks upgrade to higher output alternators (like my DC XP270 AMP and cable upgrade from Ed @ ficmrepair.com).
The glow plugs remain on for UP TO 2 Minutes (regardless of the "wait-to-start" dash board lite). During this period, the alternator is unable to maintain the voltage in the system above whatever you see (10.5 to 11.5 is pretty common).
Once the glow plugs turn off - the voltage jumps up to mid 13s like you see.

It's pretty common for the FICM to work too hard with 10.5 volts and for it's power amplifier circuits to go bad over time as well. The Scangauge2 is ESSENTIAL (or an ODB2 blue-tooth adapter and a smartphone/tablet APP) to be able to monitor the information available directly from the PCM.

There are 3 FICM voltages, 2 are typically 12volts and 1 is 48 volts (the output voltage which is used to activate the fuel injectors).
It's critical for the main voltage to NOT drop below 45 (+/-) ever! IF it does it's an indication your FICM is/has gone bad..

So, welcome to the FTE 6L world. Get the required tools to determine what needs to be fixed BEFORE you start throwing money at "suspected" problems.

An informed 6L owner is the most likely to be a happy 6L owner.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
So need to clarify

You turn the Key and nothing happens??

OR

You turn the key and Starter does spin the engine but won't start and run

Check fuse F-22

Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
koeo

Koeo I get every light on in the book--------for mileage. I get no crank no clicking no noting. I get accessory power but no live data on my scanner I can see voltage but that's it.
Originally Posted by BLADE35
So need to clarify

You turn the Key and nothing happens??

OR

You turn the key and Starter does spin the engine but won't start and run

Check fuse F-22

Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Ok gotcha

Check the ciggaret lighter fuse that powers OBDII PORT

There is a Single wire with the pull apart plug by the passenger battery
Pull it apart and touch it to the positive terminal of battery see if starter will engauge BUT be carful because you will be overriding the trans safety switch so it may roll a little if it's actually stuck in gear

I have a code to check the trans range sensor but I'll have to get home to my PC it wasn't on the list in tech folder

I doubt it's a trans range sensor but you need to rule it in or out

Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
Went to start it just now and it did the relay/ check engine light flicker after a few seconds it stayed on glow plug light shut off like normal. It cranked fired up then died in a matter of 5 seconds I had this happen about 3 times in a row after the third attempt.i started the truck it's running fine no problem

Ok gotcha

Pull it apart and touch it to the positive terminal of battery see if starter will engauge BUT be carful because you will be overriding the trans safety switch so it may roll a little if it's actually stuck in gear

I have a code to check the trans range sensor but I'll have to get home to my PC it wasn't on the list in tech folder

wenti

Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM
OUTATIME
Senior User
I get only crank and cam sensor codes(ruled out excessive starting) and mind you I did not touch anything under the hood at all didn't move one wire. I can't fathom what is causing this interruption.
Ok gotcha

Old 10-25-2016, 12:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
This one may test you patience

Wire problem possibly a PCM power relay worn

When it won't start wiggle wire harness to PCM it tucked in driver fender right behind battery

Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 PM
OUTATIME
Senior User
Tried wiggling and nothing. But now I can't get it to do the issue to find the problem! It's got a mind of its own
This one may test you patience

Wire problem possibly a PCM power relay worn

When it won't start wiggle wire harness to PCM it tucked in driver fender right behind battery

Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Tried wiggling and nothing. But now I can't get it to do the issue to find the problem! It's got a mind of its own
We'll that makes it hard and ultimately may leave you stranded

Since it did start that rules a few things out so it's progress anyways

If it was me I'd pull driver battery and get to PCM then unplug all 3 connectors from it and check and clean them and hook it back up

Quick Reply: 2006 Ford F250 6.0 no crank no start