6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

50 Cetane rated diesel... anybody tried, I found a station.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:47 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
50 Cetane rated diesel... anybody tried, I found a station.

Found a station that's offering 50 Cetane. Was closed when I passed but will hit it on Sunday for a tank full.

Anybody run this high stuff, I know Ford made the trucks to run this and that 40 Cetane is crap. Why we have to add booster all the time.... wondering if this is a stop I'm going to be making often.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Where in Va?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
How does the price compare to the normal fuel found everywhere else?
If it's reasonable that'd be great!
I see "ethanol Free" gas around town now - for 30-40% MORE than 87 octane. So, I'm sure that underground tank of gas may have no ethanol in it - but I would bet it has a LOT of water from sitting so long...

Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
yeah where did you find it randy??

as for running difference.. of the posts ive read on here and other places.. people arent really seeing a difference mpg wise or anything..but your right the 6.0's were designed to run the 50 cetane when reports from the gooberment were saying the US was going to switch to it "as its was a cleaner fuel"... but yet to happen..

Old 10-20-2016, 12:37 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
The station was in Windsor VA, Southern States on the north side of the town RT 460. Saw the sign as I passed last night in the dark bringing my daughter home from VCU for the weekend. Didn't see the price but I will on Sunday!

Hope it will bring a little better fuel economy

There are two stations that offer E-free gasoline here and that is the ONLY fuel to run in your mower, generator, chainsaw, weed whacker, power washer... long term storage without eating fuel lines/diaphragms and internal carburetor parts. Just the replacement of one of those items offsets the price and hassle of using that type of fuel.... one of the largest mistakes the GOV ever made... Ethanol!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
high test is E-free too.. or least its supposed to be..

theres a station over on Rosemont that carries 45.. but when i was running it i didnt see a difference there either...

Old 10-21-2016, 01:19 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I think there are now some 20 to 30 some-odd states that just follow whatever CARB (California Air Resources Board) lays down? that's nice because I get to pay for that and you don't -- well in the end you do because you can't, say drop the cat off or delete the EGR... I digress...

But it also means your minimum allowed Cetane should be 48, so 50 isn't a stretch for a CARB regulated state...

The part I don't like about the CARB diesel spec is the Lubricity number, now there is a reason to run a fuel additive, if nothing else...

Boy it is nice to be back....

Old 10-21-2016, 06:45 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Congratulations on getting out of the black hole.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:36 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I think there are now some 20 to 30 some-odd states that just follow whatever CARB (California Air Resources Board) lays down? that's nice because I get to pay for that and you don't -- well in the end you do because you can't, say drop the cat off or delete the EGR... I digress...

But it also means your minimum allowed Cetane should be 48, so 50 isn't a stretch for a CARB regulated state...

The part I don't like about the CARB diesel spec is the Lubricity number, now there is a reason to run a fuel additive, if nothing else...

Boy it is nice to be back....
Sorry, not dissing Cali.........beautiful state, family in Santa Barbara..........but there are a crapload of things Cali does that affect the rest of us. The old saying "as Cali goes so goes the rest of the country".

Now on the subject of ethanol, I could not agree more. I live in one of the top five corn producing counties in the state that produces the most corn. In fact I drove catch wagon last night under the combine, good for around half million pounds worth of loads of the stuff, but I would not tell anyone to run even E10. Corn has it's place, and it's not the gas tank. It's a real burr under my saddle when I pay 40 cents more per gallon for the real stuff. Absolute BS if you ask me.

FWIW I have good luck with Optilube cetane booster, or the Ford stuff too.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:38 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Both Randy and Mike have brought up the elthenol issue that I know I've commented on before too. At the farm I've got Farmall and Gravely Kohler powered equipment that constantly have carb problems, especially with the older zinc fuel settling filters. And I also sometimes also have Stihl equipment issues. There are even EPA people that acknowledge this was not the best move.

Pure gasoline should be less expensive, but it won't be as it is now a specialty item. So we reduce emissions by reducing mpg and using other pollution generating equipment to make and process the ethanol. Only a government could come up with this plan.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:36 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
All of this aside... find and use pure gasoline if possible, your equipment will love you for it!

Now, anybody run any 50 Cetane? Should it just burn cleaner, quieter, give me better fuel economy... supercharge the truck, clean out the carbon on a tank full now and then, loaded with lubricity?

I'm going to drive by this place about every two weeks or so and if it's going to help the truck, I'm all for it, even at a higher price per gallon, heck, we were paying over $4 a gallon not long ago and a tank full now and then won't kill me.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:42 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Lol, you must think it's some kind of magic snake oil. Good for you.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Now on the subject of ethanol, I could not agree more. I live in one of the top five corn producing counties in the state that produces the most corn. In fact I drove catch wagon last night under the combine, good for around half million pounds worth of loads of the stuff, but I would not tell anyone to run even E10. Corn has it's place, and it's not the gas tank. It's a real burr under my saddle when I pay 40 cents more per gallon for the real stuff. Absolute BS if you ask me.
you pay less for the bio-fuels there?? lucky... here your paying 50-80c more for it if you want to run them...

Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Lol, you must think it's some kind of magic snake oil. Good for you.
Actually I don't Chris.
I think it's going to lighten my wallet on a tank full. But here's what I do think.... I'm adding Cetane booster because of the 40 Cetane crap we buy now, a couple a bucks a tank extra. If a tank full helps with cleaning injectors, bumps my economy a slight bit and helps the truck run smooth, then I'll run a tank or so to see what's up.

And I've read that Ford designed the motor to run on 50 Cetane, not 40 Cetane. Maybe like running pure gas... sort of, but it seems nobody here really knows.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
I think some are confusing the Cetane Rating as a measurement of how it cleans the engine and not with how clean (or completely) it burns..

"Cetane number (or CN) is an inverse function of a fuel's ignition delay, and the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during combustion of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower Cetane fuels. Cetane numbers are only used for the relatively light distillate diesel oils. For heavy (residual) fuel oil two other scales are used, CCAI and CCI.

In short, the higher the Cetane number the more easily the fuel will combust in a compression setting (such as a diesel engine). The characteristic diesel "knock" occurs when fuel that has been injected into the cylinder ignites after a delay causing a late shock wave. Minimizing this delay results in less unburned fuel in the cylinder and less intense knock. Therefore higher-cetane fuel usually causes an engine to run more smoothly and quietly. This does not necessarily translate into greater efficiency, although this may happen in certain engines."

In other words the higher the number the faster the fuel burns. The faster it can burn the less residual unburnt fuel there is before the burn cycle ends. With Gasoline the Octane numbers actually work in reverse. The lower the number is the faster it combust's. With higher compression engines like in gas race cars this can lead to the pinging because the fuel will explode sooner than the engine is ready. Same thing can happen with diesel engines if the cetane rating is too low. Fuel companies will introduce additives to retard this effect so that it can burn slower/faster depending on the need and have the fuel go off at the right time.

Quick Reply: 50 Cetane rated diesel... anybody tried, I found a station.