2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Why not build Raptors instead of closing plants?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not build Raptors instead of closing plants?

Ford idling four plants over the next few weeks

Ford is closing/idling plants when they have the new raptor coming online , here's a idea why not just make nothing but raptors because we all know they're going to be in short supply and they'll tell us they can't keep up with production in just a few months . There will be dealer mark ups and long waiting lists . The Raptor is there most profitable vehicle and it's their signature F150 So why not . the article says they're paying people partial salaries anyways so why not build something all the people are waiting for instead of closing the plants ? it seems so stupid to me . OK so let's say they don't have the parts ready for the raptor how about stocking up on the F150 supplies now and then switch over to 100% raptor production in a couple weeks so there's no problem with part shortages or whatever excuse they will come up with.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you ever been inside a manufacturing plant? it's not as simple as "just build this other thing now". plus, if they made that many more raptors, it wouldn't be in such high demand. there are really good reasons they do limited runs of special vehicles.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:02 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The ability to adjust to market demand is smart.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:22 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
They aren't closing plants, they're re tooling them for Ranger and Bronco production. They had to move car production to Mexico to make room for the Ranger/Bronco. Ford already Moved F650/750 production from Mexico to the US this year. There are only so many plants to go around.

Why would Ford build more Raptors? Every single one is sold for full sticker plus whatever more a dealer can get. There are no rebates and no employee plan discounts. They are expensive to build as well. Exclusivity comes at a price.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
The Raptor is there most profitable vehicle...
I actually doubt that it is the most profitable. I suspect that a high-trim "regular" F150 has much more profit in it. Although I'm just guessing.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I actually doubt that it is the most profitable. I suspect that a high-trim "regular" F150 has much more profit in it. Although I'm just guessing.
Yeah, I would bet money the Limited trim is the cash cow of the line-up. Every option you add to a truck is mostly cash in their pockets. It sure doesn't cost $905.00 to add 3 low-res cameras and some lines of code for the 360 cam option, or $1250.00 for a radar and some lines of code for adaptive cruise control, but Ford still gets suckers like me to pay up for these options.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:27 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlotzky
Yeah, I would bet money the Limited trim is the cash cow of the line-up. Every option you add to a truck is mostly cash in their pockets. It sure doesn't cost $905.00 to add 3 low-res cameras and some lines of code for the 360 cam option, or $1250.00 for a radar and some lines of code for adaptive cruise control, but Ford still gets suckers like me to pay up for these options.
It doesn't cost $1000 to ship every one of these trucks either.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
They aren't closing plants, they're re tooling them for Ranger and Bronco production. They had to move car production to Mexico to make room for the Ranger/Bronco. Ford already Moved F650/750 production from Mexico to the US this year. There are only so many plants to go around.

Why would Ford build more Raptors? Every single one is sold for full sticker plus whatever more a dealer can get. There are no rebates and no employee plan discounts. They are expensive to build as well. Exclusivity comes at a price.
They are sales shutdowns. Ranger and bronco changeover isn't slated until late 2017 or early 2018, if they even happen.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 PM
JKBrad
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
They are sales shutdowns. Ranger and bronco changeover isn't slated until late 2017 or early 2018, if they even happen.
There is a lot of work to do to removing old tooling, renovating and other odds and ends. Nothing happens quick. Especially these days. Contracts, union bosses, labor relations etc, etc...

Old 10-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
There is a lot of work to do to removing old tooling, renovating and other odds and ends. Nothing happens quick. Especially these days. Contracts, union bosses, labor relations etc, etc...
Behind the scenes planning may be happening, but no plant changes are occurring yet. I know which plant these are being planned for, and the current product is staying there through at least the middle of 2017 if not until 2018.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 PM
JKBrad
I guess time will tell. The employees are sworn to secrecy on these things. However some have already admitted, but not confirmed, that he Ranger/Bronco is coming. The Ranger will have to be built in the US to avoid the chicken tax. The Bronco will presumably be built on the Ranger platform.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:08 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Man I can't wait for solid details of the Ranger and Bronco. When the Bronco drops, can we start calling it the Bronco III?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 PM
JKBrad
Bronco III would be fitting. Although technically, if you count the full size and don't count for the '78-'79 being a separate generation, then it would be a Bronco IV.

I would actually love a full size 2 door Bronco built on the current F150 platform. 3.5 EB with 4x4. I could use a trailer for bigger chores and be done with a pickup.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Bronco III would be fitting. Although technically, if you count the full size and don't count for the '78-'79 being a separate generation, then it would be a Bronco IV.

I would actually love a full size 2 door Bronco built on the current F150 platform. 3.5 EB with 4x4. I could use a trailer for bigger chores and be done with a pickup.
ugh the Bronco II (and the Mustang II) were such abominations of their respective names that I don't think we should tolerate the extension of that mechanism.

I do like the idea of a new full-size bronco. I actually did exactly what you describe for a few years with my '93 Bronco. It wasn't my daily driver, I had an Acura for that. the bronco got 11MPG on a good day, but damn it was fun. lots of stuff fit in the back, about the same as what I can get in my 5.5' F-150 bed. I used a trailer for everything else, just like I do now. oh, and the top came off. it really was a good setup.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Sure they are, but it's not a permanent thing.

Ford F-150 plant idled as demand for trucks begins to flatten

Ford Is Idling 4 Factories: What It Means for Investors -- The Motley Fool

They're adjusting supply to meet demand in order to prevent a glut of vehicles sitting on dealer lots. Helps keep sale prices, and margins, high.

Quick Reply: Why not build Raptors instead of closing plants?