6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Even with the 6.0 reputation, still love this truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even with the 6.0 reputation, still love this truck

Once again, I hit the road with my truck and 12K# trailer while harboring great apprehension and worry because of the less than stellar reputation of the 6.0. I hate that I tend to worry about getting stranded on the side of the road, with trailer in tow, on vacation with the wife, but horror stories of 6.0 failures always tend to fill my mind with worry when planning my excursions... Well, here I am, home again, giddy about how great my truck served me on my 1.5K mile journey. What a great truck! I just wish the 6.0's reputation wasn't so tarnished. It would be nice to hit the road with complete confidence in my truck but there's always those stories that hang over my head. I should have never read those horror stories back after I bought this fine truck new on the lot. Maybe I was just lucky, but this is one pullin' machine and I'm lovin' it. Can't wait till we can hit the road again, next spring.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congratulations!!

After 11 years of never leaving me stranded, I still love mine too.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:02 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
At the end of the day, anything can break down and leave one stranded.........could be coming home from Sunday services or a cross country journey. I have been on trips various vehicles over the years and have had troubles, thankfully always remedied by honest shops.
Yes the 6.0 rep has been sullied over the years but a little PM goes a long ways before setting out.
If it's got an engine and four wheels it's going to break down.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:51 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The 6.0 also has a lot of "experts" offering to "bulletproof" the engine based on this "reputation". There are at least three threads just started today in the 6.0 and SD boards of people who had their engines torn apart complaining about problems.

Maybe the real issue is hack part tossers rampaging around under the hood?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:17 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love mine as well. Knock on wood, in 90k of owning it over 4 years, it hasnt left me stranded. Driven it across the entire country

Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 PM
klbrown
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought mine (2nd owner) and then learned of the 6.0's "sullied" reputation. Got on the internet and eventually found this forum. Thanks to all the great help on here I've weathered a few problems and have enjoyed the truck. I'll be stepping up to a new '17 or maybe '18 because my next 5th wheel will require a dually.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 PM
jeremy rowe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 2003 brand new off the lot and put 240000 miles of trouble free hard work on the truck. I'm on the original EGR, HPOP, oil cooler, injectors and glow plugs, it's only recently parts are starting to wear out due to usage..alternator, starter, glow plug control, fuel pump. Or corrosion..oil pan, lines, manifold bolts, fuel filler and backing plates ( rear brakes)

I also just replaced my original ball joints ( the only suspension parts I've replaced in the life of the vehicle. I think the key to the 6.0 is meticulous maintenance, and running only synthetic fluids, Ford filters, and the Cat ELC coolant. I changed to synthetic first service on every fluid, and changed every fluid at the recommended intervals.

If you let any little issue persist, they can lead to major catastrophes...maintenance is key, the 6.0 just aren't as forgiving as other engines. I love mine, great power, and good milage....and the steering and suspension are bulletproof. I've heard all the horror stories, and maybe it kept me on my toes maintenance wise, but I've actually never been stranded ( except in my driveway) so drive it until the wheels fall off (or body rotts off)

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm camping with 6.0 truck now, about 300mi from home. Yes I've spent some time and money on it but dang! It works so well out on the road with a 10k lb fifthwheel behind it. I've driven a lot of pickups over the years but this is my first diesel. I won't be going back to gas as long as I have something to pull. This is my favorite truck so-far and the fact that it's a 6.0 doesn't worry me...much

Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys on FTE kept my truck from ever having a bad rap. Realizing that continued operation when a known condition present would just cascade and a larger repair would only be my fault. Thanks to FTE members, after learning a bit about TTY bolts, EGR and the like and making a few upgrades, you end up with a great vehicle, I know I did.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel the same way about my 6.0L. But the good thing about the bad reputation is that they can be found for excellent prices.

I was was nervous as well when we pulled out 5th wheel to Colorado this summer, watched the Dashboss like a hawk for the first day. But with the help from the great folks here on FTE she's all set up and she's been just as reliable as my 7.3L's.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:52 AM
ch1k3n123
Junior User
I definitely read the horror stories and am still constantly paranoid. Mainly because I'm the second owner and I don't know how diligent the last owners were with maintenance. Thankfully it's stock as far as I can tell! No problems so far and hopefully none in the future!

Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
i like em so much I own 2. I'm either crazy or things just work out good. There no more money than any other repairs on a used truck.
Just got to be a educated consumer like anything else.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:44 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Still happy with mine. 2nd owner. I've put 60K out of 153K miles on it. My biggest issue was 2 injectors that got fixed under warranty. Did the ficm swap and coolant filter myself. So far so good, although I'm guilty of staring at the Scangauge. I don't tow as much/heavy as many of you though. Hope to one day.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
I actually love the bad rep these 6oh's have!

Because of it I was able to get mine almost 2 years ago for $15k at around 100k miles , when everybody was wanting $20k plus for 2005 and up Duramax's, and 2002 and up Cummins, and 1999-2003 7.3l's.

These are hidden gems if you can get one without the neglect of previous owners.

Just be sure to be in for the long haul, cause thats where they pay off, you will never get anywhere close to what you put in them when you trade it in.

This is my second 6oh, first one was a learning curve. When I was ready to buy another diesel I told my wife a 6oh was the ONLY option for me cause its what I knew, there a hidden gem, and because of this group.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:34 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
These are hidden gems if you can get one without the neglect of previous owners..
I'm waiting until 6.0 Excursions hit the $5k range. I'm going to buy two Between both trucks I bet I can get a 300,000 mile vehicle out of the deal for less than $30k, built the way I want it to be.

Quick Reply: Even with the 6.0 reputation, still love this truck