Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Hi [new], could we revisit RWD in snow/ice [North East USA], thanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:46 AM
ad16
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi [new], could we revisit RWD in snow/ice [North East USA], thanks

Hi, new guy here, been studying this site as I am looking for an extended Aerostar. Very nice forum, spectacular info database. I had to let go a 4cyl/5spd shorty panel 13 years ago, could only have one vehicle and needed a small commuter.

What a great van it was, look under the hood you could see the ground under both sides of the motor [no AC], reach in with one arm and touch all 4 spark plugs. I miss it but maybe for the best as now I believe the extended model is better for my needs. Anyway...

I have found a possible candidate 600 miles from me [1992, 146k, 4.0L, automatic rebuilt trans, second owner, no rust]. I was looking for E4WD [and quite thrilled with the idea], but this van has some things I like [hand crank windows, gutted cargo area, all blue color, no roof rack] and although extended it is RWD. I was partial to finding a 3.0 for mpg, but just learned here that all E4WD's had the 4.0.

I have read extensively here and elsewhere about putting weight over the rear axle and running 4 snow tires possibly studded for best results [studs legal where I am]. Could anyone chime in again, what are my chances of good results? I'm nervous about it, also I had been looking at E4WD's hugely on craigslist [nation-wide] and it is a bit of a shock to suddenly be considering a RWD.

Also, most of what I read related to pickup trucks. Does it apply equally to small vans?

I just requested the vin number from the guy to run a carfax. I heard you can determine what rearend the vehicle has by the vin? In reference to some types are better for snow/ice.

Besides liking this van I'd just wait for the right E4WD but I need to get something squared away soon before winter. Plus the clutch is going in my old car, I want to transition to an Aero rather than fix it [I am not a mechanic]. If the RWD seems doable I could always give it a go for this winter then start the search over in the Spring if I don't like it.
sorry for long post!
thanks for your time and any info

Old 10-08-2016, 02:44 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Having owned a E4WD for over 20 years, I can say that it is great for getting going on light to medium snow. But in heavy snow, you really need chains; just in the rear is sufficient, especially if you add weight as far back as possible. Also be aware that the E4WD can get you going better, but it will not help you stop any better, than 2WD, especially if you added weight for traction.

Something that really helps is a Traction-Loc rear end, on both 2WD and 4WD. Try to find a van with that, or you would pay a lot to have it installed in one without it.

The transmission installed with a 4 liter engine is supposed to be stronger than those with smaller engines. In any case, an auxiliary ATF cooler will help it live longer. Most people who add this will remove the PS cooler loop from in front of the radiator (or AC evaporator if you have that), install a big plate cooler in that space and run the ATF through that instead of the U-tube cooler behind the bumper, and run the PS fluid through that.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:11 PM
ad16
New User
Thanks xlt4wd90, in reference to E4WD being "great for getting going on light to medium snow", that's all I would be asking of the RWD. Talking packed snow/slush build up on side streets in town, or maybe an inch or 3 before the plows come out. Otherwise try to stay home.

If I pull onto the road out of my parking space for the landlord to move snow, I'll be headed very slightly downhill. With the slightest ice or snow I have visions of RWD wheels spinning trying to then back up into my spot. Wondering if 200 pounds over the axle and studded snows would help, how much. Who knows.

I have memory of my old RWD shorty sitting on a flat icy surface spinning wheels. And hellish getting out of moderately snowed in parking spot. At that time though I had no weight in the rear and just regular tires.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:30 PM
DFord
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've got 3 Aerostars, all RWD 3.0L and go fine in the St Louis snow. I don't use them to plow snow but if someone else plows it, I get through just fine. Good tires help.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 AM
jseely
Freshman User
I'm in MI with a SWB 3.0 5spd, w/ Trac Loc 3.42. With all seasons it takes a long time to get going up the slight incline on my block, but its stable, doesn't get stuck and stops really well. The word I'd use to descibe it is "predictable." I come from having mostly AWD/4WD vehicles and I don't feel uncomfortable at all with the Aero.

I got a set of 4 used snow tires and found they help, as well as weight over the axle. The gas tank and passenger seat are in front of the axle so they make little to no difference. I just buy all the salt I'll need for the year and pile it on top of my "summer" wheels over the rear. It helps.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:57 PM
ad16
New User
buying long distance, how to ID model of rearend?

Thanks jseely Dford, I am now open to buying a RWD. Perhaps even more so than E4WD, I'm all for as much simplicity as possible. Have seen many different comments including relating to pickup trucks about which rear end best for traction. I will most likely be buying long distance [waiting for a low miles rust free vehicle], is there some ID system on the van that will let me know what type the differential is? I thought I read somewhere it was coded into the VIN?
thanks

Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 PM
don-ohio
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get winterforce snow tires and have them studded. Keeping a few hundred pounds in the back helps too. don-ohio (:^)

Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
ad16
New User
Originally Posted by don-ohio
Get winterforce snow tires and have them studded. Keeping a few hundred pounds in the back helps too. don-ohio (:^)
Thanks don-ohio, those are some serious looking tires! Is your aero rwd, do you run these on the front as well? I read where 4 snows is recommended in general.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 AM
jseely
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ad16
Thanks don-ohio, those are some serious looking tires! Is your aero rwd, do you run these on the front as well? I read where 4 snows is recommended in general.
You want 4 for on any vehicle, but especially a van/pickup with a light rear end. When you hit the brakes, your fronts are responsible for about 80% of your stopping power due to the weight transfer. The rears get you going, but the fronts stop you, essentially.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:54 AM
don-ohio
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AD16, of course all wheels studded is better. There are other,less aggressive tires you can stud for the front.
I have run both ways,and the 2 on the rear will make for good traction on the extended with the limited slip diff.
I ALWAYS add a few hundred pounds of weight to the rear of Aerostar at wintertime.
I also try to keep a full tank of fuel.

Just remember,these tires won't stand heat so put them on and take them off while weather is cold. don-ohio (:^)

Old 10-25-2016, 04:33 PM
ad16
New User
found the rear ID info

Thanks jseely and don-ohio, very helpful. I had asked about ID'ing what rear is in the vehicle, re-posting links here in case anyone stumbles on this thread through search:

aerostar rear axle codes:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...xle-codes.html

which was located in aerostar tips/tricks etc
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-how-tos.html

Still looking, checking out a '92 RWD extended with the 4.0L, has "must have" hand crank windows and already gutted rear cargo area which is great. I was hoping for a 3.0L for possible better gas mileage and a 5spd manual would be a dream, but might grab this one to transition before winter [and sell my car as well]
Thanks

Old 10-25-2016, 06:34 PM
jseely
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ad16
Thanks jseely and don-ohio, very helpful. I had asked about ID'ing what rear is in the vehicle, re-posting links here in case anyone stumbles on this thread through search:

aerostar rear axle codes:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...xle-codes.html

which was located in aerostar tips/tricks etc
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-how-tos.html

Still looking, checking out a '92 RWD extended with the 4.0L, has "must have" hand crank windows and already gutted rear cargo area which is great. I was hoping for a 3.0L for possible better gas mileage and a 5spd manual would be a dream, but might grab this one to transition before winter [and sell my car as well]
Thanks
Mines a SWB 3.0 5spd with a 3.42?? Trac Loc rear. I like the idea of a 5spd Burt the trans they used is really pretty flimsy and has an internal slave clutch prone to leaks and failures

Old 10-26-2016, 08:43 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The all wheel drive vans are great...If you have dedicated snow tires.. I can plow through snow up here at the top of vermont. My driveway is brutal. winterforce work well but don't last. I always have weight in the van also....Tools. RWD aeros are terrible up here. Too many hills. Were terrible. No more aeros here all gone..just mine LOL.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:13 AM
96Aerostar
Junior User
I had a 2wd with Traction Lok, from factory. Did a year in snow, it was OK till I hit black ice. I now drive an AWD, much less MPG, yet feels more secure.

2wd is considered a poor choice for snow country, I would suggest AWD with snow tires.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 AM
jseely
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 96Aerostar
I had a 2wd with Traction Lok, from factory. Did a year in snow, it was OK till I hit black ice. I now drive an AWD, much less MPG, yet feels more secure.

2wd is considered a poor choice for snow country, I would suggest AWD with snow tires.
I can understand feeling "more secure" with AWD, but honestly my experience with black ice is that nothing is going to help you if you've got all 4 wheels on ice. I've had 4 4wd trucks (3 Monteros, 1 Jeep XJ), and two Subarus (Impreza & currently a Forester). AWD only helps you if you're on the gas, and my personal experience is that the ability to come to a controlled stop (this is where snow tires really help) is the most important thing. As my dad would say, "4wd only gets you farther into the ditch."

Quick Reply: Hi [new], could we revisit RWD in snow/ice [North East USA], thanks