1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Super Duty Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Super Duty Build Thread

Ok guys, so some of you here have seen some of my threads asking about tires and such, and I figured it would just be easier to make a build thread. So here's some info, my truck is a 1999 F250 SD Lariat SRW ext. cab short box with the Triton V10. So far what I have done is Bought a toolbox, Swapped header panel and headlights for 06 headlights (not the grill though), and installed a set of window rain guards. My list of stuff to do to it is this (not in order):

New mirrors, current ones have paint chipping and drivers side is cracked and won't move via the motor

The vacuum system for the 4wd isn't working, and I believe it's that solenoid, need to get that done before the snow flies.

Level kit

New rear springs, pass. side has a broken leaf. Is it possible to get heavier springs that lower the rear of the truck like an inch?? I'm kinda short

Lower axle gearing and bigger tires. I don't want to make a mudder, just tires with more presence in the wheel wells.

Tuner, looking at some of Mike's from 5-star, this one is probably pretty high on the list right now as it is my daily driver and I drive a good 40+ miles a day and want some tunes for fuel mileage but also want more power !!

New cup holder, maybe a bit insignificant, but the stock '99 one is pretty pathetic.

I need to fix the weather stripping around the windshield, it's curling up in some spots but not leaking yet. I heard somewhere that I need a new windshield to fix it but I'm not sure.

Depending on the windshield situation, I'd like to get a tint on the top of it that says SUPER DUTY.

Clearance lights for the cab, I've always thought they looked sweet!

New box, the current one is rusting out in multiple spots and on the fenders as well, this one is quite a ways down the road.

Get rid of them awful fake hood scoops!!

Exhaust, currently it has been pieced together I think, everything is stock but the muffler was torn out at some point in its life. Not sure what a good setup for the V10 is yet but she growls pretty friggin' good as it is

The tan 2-tone is peeling the clear coat or something, it's uneaven and needs to be fixed, along with the big honkin' hole on the back drivers side corner of the cab.

Waaay down the road it'd be nice to coat the frame.

Okay I gotta stop this is getting expensive!

So just a disclaimer, I'm in college--and have very little on the resource department---so this may take a long time. But on the plus side I have one year left of payments on it and this is my last year of college so hopefully funds will free up soon. I think the things that will happen soonest are the tuner and maybe tires.

Any recommendations on tuners?

Here are some pics of her, I'll get some with the new lights hopefully soon:

Name:  002_zpsydeeh55k.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  345.5 KB

Before my new running boards:
Name:  012_zpsxwtlq5cb.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  323.6 KB

Name:  007_zpssgnlac4d.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  308.3 KB

Old 10-06-2016, 01:55 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the mirrors from 1AAuto, I put them on my 99 and really like them.
These are what I used and did a bunch of wiring, to make them work.
https://www.1aauto.com/ford-mirror-p...=845623&y=1999

There are others, on their site, with different options, depending upon your wants/needs.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Nice, I will consider those as heated mirrors would be really nice! Do you happen to have a picture of them?

I have a question considering tires, now I am currently running 265/75R16 Transforce AT's and I'm looking at some Toyo Open country's or cooper discoverer. How much bigger could I go on height without losing a lot of torque?

Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
I installed the mirrors, last year.
I wired the lights, this year, then I got side tracked modding a lower center dash panel, to accommodate switches and sockets, so I still need to finish that, before I complete the heater circuit.
Then, I can reinstall my upper dash with the nav unit.

I have 2 different dash panels and designs that I'm working on and I'll finish the easy one first and then go onto the more work intensive one. That will give me a finished product, for now.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a 99 V10 too. Will be following your build thread.

Couple recommendation's from me would be the 02+ Head lights and good bulbs. If your going for a tuner I really like the Livewire for the datalog features. ATS can set you up with new springs, they are a site sponsor and have helped many Excursion members out. Gear ratio's, I would search for some 4.10 or 4.30 axles.

Check the size of your rear block it may be the F350 version.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 PM
'99F250
Senior User
ligito: I'd also like some pics of that new dash setup!

Bently Coop: Nice!
I actually installed a set of 06 headlights and LOVE them! SOO much better than the old crappy foggy 99 ones!

So I think I will be getting a set of tires here within the month. There is a sale on Toyo tires in town, $70 off a purchase of 4. So I think I will be getting a set of Open Country's. Looks like the tuner is getting pushed back a bit :/

Old 10-09-2016, 10:53 AM
ligito
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by '99F250
ligito: I'd also like some pics of that new dash setup!

Bently Coop: Nice!
I actually installed a set of 06 headlights and LOVE them! SOO much better than the old crappy foggy 99 ones!

So I think I will be getting a set of tires here within the month. There is a sale on Toyo tires in town, $70 off a purchase of 4. So I think I will be getting a set of Open Country's. Looks like the tuner is getting pushed back a bit :/
I'll trade a picture of my dash, for a picture of your headlights.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 AM
ligito
Posting Guru
Before and after trimming and painting.
The before was actually almost a charcoal color but it appears the same color as after I painted it.

Before paint

After Paint

Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2016, 11:28 AM
ligito
Posting Guru

I put this one on the back burner, until I get more time to work on it.
I just need it back together.

Sorry for jumping into this thread but it is a 99 SD.
I need to finish the Bondo work on this.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by ligito
I'll trade a picture of my dash, for a picture of your headlights.
Fair enough!

I do have better pics somewhere but this is what I have for now:

Old 10-11-2016, 10:49 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Since you're talking about rear springs...an option is to source from a junkyard or other places, a set of 11+ leafsprings. They are 8" longer than what you have (more on this later), ride quite a bit smoother and will crouch a little more due to their softer ride.
To install them, you move the front spring perch forward. The current front rivet hole (yes you need to cut the rivets off and replace with quality bolts) becomes the rear bolt hole. After removing the spring bracket, reposition it, mark your new spot or start a pilot hole. Remove the bracket, finish drilling the new holes and remount the bracket in the new position.
It's a cost friendly improvement that is very effective in a better ride while maintaining towing capability.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
[QUOTE='99F250;16636601]Fair enough!

Are they glass, or plastic?
What year are the lights from?
Where did you buy them?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Since you're talking about rear springs...an option is to source from a junkyard or other places, a set of 11+ leafsprings. They are 8" longer than what you have (more on this later), ride quite a bit smoother and will crouch a little more due to their softer ride.
To install them, you move the front spring perch forward. The current front rivet hole (yes you need to cut the rivets off and replace with quality bolts) becomes the rear bolt hole. After removing the spring bracket, reposition it, mark your new spot or start a pilot hole. Remove the bracket, finish drilling the new holes and remount the bracket in the new position.
It's a cost friendly improvement that is very effective in a better ride while maintaining towing capability.
I am liking that idea. One question though, because of a softer ride, will I be able to haul stuff that is just as heavy as I have been doing? I've hauled some pretty heavy stuff for having a broken spring.

[QUOTE=ligito;16638708]
Fair enough!

Are they glass, or plastic?
What year are the lights from?
Where did you buy them?
They are plastic, and from an 06 Super duty. I bought them for $50 from a guy that stops by my work once in a while.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:39 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I am liking that idea. One question though, because of a softer ride, will I be able to haul stuff that is just as heavy as I have been doing?
Think about what you're asking....."Will stock 2011 or newer F250 or F350 shocks be able to haul stuff that my 99 does?" Lol! Just giving you a hard time. If you don't like how it sits or rides with a heavy load, you could add air bags.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:45 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Think about what you're asking....."Will stock 2011 or newer F250 or F350 shocks be able to haul stuff that my 99 does?" Lol! Just giving you a hard time. If you don't like how it sits or rides with a heavy load, you could add air bags.
Lol yeah I see that now! I think I might do something like that. I just need to find time and a set of springs

Quick Reply: 99 Super Duty Build Thread