2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Front Brake Line Change Sporadic Front Brake Drag/Hard Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Texas Troy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Front Brake Line Change Sporadic Front Brake Drag/Hard Pedal

Had a lift done (Rough Country, after reading through these forums) on my 04 F150 Newer Body Style 4x4. Now, sometimes the pedal gets harder to push on until it won't go down at all and the brakes (only the front) start dragging. It goes away after awhile (my rotors are shot and I'm going to have to replace them after I figure out what is going on) but always comes back. The brake lines have been bled and I'm having a shop bleed them again tomorrow (that's what they said the issue was) just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on?

Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM
wheelerfreak
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Bleed the calipers and MC. If the brake lines were the only thing changed it's got to be one of those items. Could also be the booster, but that would have been causing an issue before the change as well.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Texas Troy
New User
Originally Posted by wheelerfreak
Bleed the calipers and MC. If the brake lines were the only thing changed it's got to be one of those items. Could also be the booster, but that would have been causing an issue before the change as well.
Alright, I'll post tomorrow evening with results. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Texas Troy
New User
So, the rear passenger side bleeder valve was missing. I took it to a shop, they had to drill out 3 valves (the front 2 were seized from heat) and said "the pressure released when we took the front brake lines off" so they ordered new ones to put on. They are saying it couldn't have been properly bled due to the rear bleeder valve being missing and the Rough Country supplied brake lines were faulty. I've called Rough Country, was connected to a manager's voice mail and am waiting to hear back. My front rotors are blue and the 10k old pads are less than 2mm. I'll post again if the work actually fixes the problem, and if it doesn't.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Texas Troy
New User
Brake lines changed out, new passenger front caliper, brake system flushed/bled. Now all four brakes are locking up. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know if its still sporadic as I immediately stopped driving it.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Did they have the master cylinder off when they did the lift?

(Sounds to me like the pushrod length is off.)

Old 10-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Texas Troy
New User
They did not have the MC off when they did the lift. So, my brake lines were ruined from the heat (and possibly partially occluded to begin with), one front caliper was ruined from the heat, the other one's bleeder valve was seized, the right rear's was broken off in the caliper, the MC was bad, and the ABS Pump/Modulator was possibly (they said it was bad) bad. I bought a ABS Pump/Modulator assembly off a site for 103 bucks, came from a truck with 60k miles and the right side looked like it got drug down the side of a tunnel. They only charged me 30 minutes labor to put it on. The other parts were all new, brake lines were made locally. Cost me 1060 total. If I had moved into my house already I would have probably done it all myself just by guessing until I got it right and saved a few hundred... Oh well.

The problem was the front brakes only were sporadically dragging as the brake pedal became incapable of being pressed down. After we replaced the lines and bled it properly all four brakes locked up and stayed that way.

I appreciate the responses.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Is it possible that when they did the lift they some how messed up the length of the master cylinder pushrod? SOunds like when the pedal is released the MC piston is not allowing the brake fluid to return to the MC reservoir.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Texas Troy
New User
Well, it was only doing it sporadically. Wouldn't that make it do it every time? The truck has not had an issue since they finished replacing all of those parts. Keeping my fingers crossed. lol

Old 10-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Ted928
Tuned
Originally Posted by Texas Troy
Brake lines changed out, new passenger front caliper, brake system flushed/bled. Now all four brakes are locking up. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know if its still sporadic as I immediately stopped driving it.
Here you say you changed out all the parts and you still have a problem.

Well, it was only doing it sporadically. Wouldn't that make it do it every time? The truck has not had an issue since they finished replacing all of those parts. Keeping my fingers crossed. lol
Here you say no problem since changing all the parts.

If you still have a problem, I suggest starting a new thread so the facts can be stated.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Texas Troy
New User
Originally Posted by Ted928
Here you say you changed out all the parts and you still have a problem.

Here you say no problem since changing all the parts.

If you still have a problem, I suggest starting a new thread so the facts can be stated.

That wasn't all of the parts. After that was done they changed out the ABS Pump/Module at which point all 4 brakes locked up and stayed that way. Then they changed MC and the problem was fully resolved.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Ted928
Tuned
That wasn't all of the parts. After that was done they changed out the ABS Pump/Module at which point all 4 brakes locked up and stayed that way. Then they changed MC and the problem was fully resolved.
So it was a MC problem. Thanks for the update.