1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:29 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift

Last evening my uncle gave me the 82' F150 4x4 300 4spd that my aunt gave to him about 10 years ago. About 20 years ago she purchased it from my dad who bought it new. My dad used to date my mom in this thing. I remember doing chores and riding around with Dad and my brother in there when we were little. During a time in high school my aunt let us drive it to school. I'm emotionally attached.

This thing is tired. 201,000 miles on the clock. It's called Rusty for a reason.

The plan is to have some free fun with it for a little while before laying it to rest and having it become an organ donor. What do the scrap yards pay for rust these days?

My 3 year old son and I took it out to my parent's farm last night where it will spend it's last days. On the way we took a rutted dirt road just for fun. My boy said, " The rusty old pickup's going to break!" Half a mile later he said, "The pickup's not breaking!"

I even got to use it in the pasture last night when the cows got out. Here's a crappy picture from my old flip phone of Rusty in it's originally intended environment as a farm truck.

Here are pictures later taken in the dark. It looks worse in proper lighting.

Rolling POR-15 commercial right here. (It wasn't used on this)

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome. I'm sure you'll love it. I haven't been on these forums in ages, but was going to come back and let everyone know I still have my truck and it's still running like a champ.

Looks like you have an indestructible set up like me. You'll love it.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
My first 1980 was like that. I had to put spray foam in the front fenders for a couple of years till I got enough money for repro fenders. The tires would throw water and snow up into the engine compartment because of the large gaps in the tops of the front fenders. I later on got a better bed and replaced it. Had to replace some crossmembers and patch the frame in the back corner.

The engine was shot, found out it wasn't even the original engine. Rebuilt a engine and set it down in, it lasted 5 years till the crankshaft broke(advance auto reman crank). I then put a 351w in it, and years later sold it.

P.S. If you find the engine missing in the rain and snow, and lift the hood to find everything under there soaking wet, the spray foam works pretty good. Slop it in there and let it expand on the outside. When it gets hard, take a hacksaw blade and trim it off even. Then spray some primer on it. It gets the job done.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Beedy
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franklin2
My first 1980 was like that. I had to put spray foam in the front fenders for a couple of years till I got enough money for repro fenders. The tires would throw water and snow up into the engine compartment because of the large gaps in the tops of the front fenders. I later on got a better bed and replaced it. Had to replace some crossmembers and patch the frame in the back corner.
This whole post brought back some memories and Franklin's post sounds like my rebuild. When I turned 14 my great grandfather gave me his 1981 f150 to be my first vehicle, which I remembered driving around in as a kid (We hauled logs, hay, fire wood, you name it, just an overall farm truck). I started by doing the same thing, spray foam, chop it off and bondo over for a smoothish look (got me through highschool). Even had to replace some crossmembers and about a foot of the frame near the bumper. Last couple of years I have saved up and gotten new fenders, bed sides and a straight tail gate (the 4 foot logs made the old one look like a u).

Currently it's my daily driver in the summer. I'm pushing 190k on the original 300 and it runs perfectly. I would say if you have the patience and a frame worth building off, it would definitely be worth saving it, even if it takes time (I've been 5 years of off and on work). I love riding in mine and every time I go hunting or haul equipment/wood, it brings back many memories. The old girl is worth all my time and money invested as far as I'm concerned.

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't I know you in a different life? Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! But, if you look at my sig you'll see that the name Rusty is already in use - at least down here in Okiehoma. So, since your Rusty and my Rusty aren't likely to venture that far south/north, I guess it isn't a problem.

Anyway, there's lotsa good parts on that truck. Like the bolt and nut that hold the front of the spring to the frame. See here.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:47 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
... If you find the engine missing in the rain and snow...
I know what your talking about, but my first thought was "Where did it go?" Thanks for the chuckle. And I'll keep the foam in mind.

Originally Posted by Beedy
This whole post brought back some memories and Franklin's post sounds like my rebuild. When I turned 14 my great grandfather gave me his 1981 f150 to be my first vehicle, which I remembered driving around in as a kid (We hauled logs, hay, fire wood, you name it, just an overall farm truck). I started by doing the same thing, spray foam, chop it off and bondo over for a smoothish look (got me through highschool). Even had to replace some crossmembers and about a foot of the frame near the bumper. Last couple of years I have saved up and gotten new fenders, bed sides and a straight tail gate (the 4 foot logs made the old one look like a u).

Currently it's my daily driver in the summer. I'm pushing 190k on the original 300 and it runs perfectly. I would say if you have the patience and a frame worth building off, it would definitely be worth saving it, even if it takes time (I've been 5 years of off and on work). I love riding in mine and every time I go hunting or haul equipment/wood, it brings back many memories. The old girl is worth all my time and money invested as far as I'm concerned.
I totally get it. I hope you can keep it going for future generations. It looks like you will! My problem is that I already have 2 old pals of my own that I'm emotionally and monetarily invested in and my wife won't let me have 3.

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Don't I know you in a different life? Welcome to the Bullnose Forum! But, if you look at my sig you'll see that the name Rusty is already in use - at least down here in Okiehoma. So, since your Rusty and my Rusty aren't likely to venture that far south/north, I guess it isn't a problem.

Anyway, there's lotsa good parts on that truck. Like the bolt and nut that hold the front of the spring to the frame. See here.
Good to see you here! My aunt named my Rusty about 15-20 years ago. I remember actually being offended that she would name it that when I was a kid. I loved it then too. I bet our Rustys wouldn't mind meeting. They'd have a lot in common and probably be pals.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
I spent about 10 minutes with it last night and noticed there is no ground from the starter to the frame. It needs to be jumped to start after sitting long enough for the engine oil to cool and stiffen up. I'm going to steal the ground off of my Kermit (for free!) and see what happens.

Here are some day time pictures:

Just look at those lines!

It has one of those pliers grip lock out hubs. Must be an anti-theft device.

I wonder if the CB works.

Good drainage in the bed.

I really like these old state themed full size mud flaps. I wish they were still popular and available. These will go on a wall, probably with the original rusty brackets.

Also the angle iron bumper hitch reinforcement is totally something Dad would have done.

The end gate is actually really easy to open and shut.

Good firm running boards, huh?

So many memories looking at that dash.

Patina!

See the milk jug rain shield?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks well-used. The milk jug rain shield is innovative, but if you just replace the cowl seal with garage door seal, as shown here, you won't need it.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:23 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Looks well-used. The milk jug rain shield is innovative, but if you just replace the cowl seal with garage door seal, as shown here, you won't need it.
I second that motion as that advice worked well for me. I love that the torn seat upholstery's cover is also torn ! :

Old 09-28-2016, 02:32 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
I know what your talking about, but my first thought was "Where did it go?" Thanks for the chuckle. And I'll keep the foam in mind.

I totally get it. I hope you can keep it going for future generations. It looks like you will! My problem is that I already have 2 old pals of my own that I'm emotionally and monetarily invested in and my wife won't let me have 3.

Good to see you here! My aunt named my Rusty about 15-20 years ago. I remember actually being offended that she would name it that when I was a kid. I loved it then too. I bet our Rustys wouldn't mind meeting. They'd have a lot in common and probably be pals.
RustyMates.com

Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
There are a couple of people on here looking for the A/C brackets and various parts for a inline six. If you are going to get rid of that you might be able make a little of money to throw back at the truck.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
There are a couple of people on here looking for the A/C brackets and various parts for a inline six. If you are going to get rid of that you might be able make a little of money to throw back at the truck.

Wow ! That is a very complete I6 engine compartment ! I'd think twice or thrice before I made any decisions. If mine...park and prevent. I wouldn't be so quick to cannibalize it. A/C brackets and various parts can be hunted down.....complete engine bays....not so much. Vultures are plentiful, Eagles are rare.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Wow ! That is a very complete I6 engine compartment ! I'd think twice or thrice before I made any decisions. If mine...park and prevent. I wouldn't be so quick to cannibalize it. A/C brackets and various parts can be hunted down.....complete engine bays....not so much. Vultures are plentiful, Eagles are rare.
I appreciate what your saying, but it does me no good to park it for 10-15 years. It would have to sit outside somewhere and would just be a basket case by then with rotten everything and do little good for anyone...

I'd be better off blowing money on it now I think.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:57 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Rusty pickup had a bad ground which is why it wouldn't start reliably. The starter was FALLING off!
After fixing that it has started every time by itself.

I took it to my house late last week and drove it to work 25 miles today in the rain. It was fun but driving that thing in the winter would probably kill a person. I had both vent windows open and I was still having exhaust in cab problems.

I insured it yesterday to be legal and plan to drive it until it either breaks or my 30 day grace period for licensure ends. That will be a nice final tour I think.

I sent a picture with my phone to my dad showing Rusty in front of the office. He figured I will be guaranteed for a raise when my boss sees it.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:57 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice! Be careful regarding the exhaust fumes.

Quick Reply: Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift