6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

P2284 after oil cooler work, Ford 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 AM
hawkco66
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P2284 after oil cooler work, Ford 6.0

I have the later model 2004 F250 6.0 (built May 2004). I have owned it since new. It has 157K miles.

My newest problem comes after I did oil cooler work. I know everyone points to the IPR and/or ICP, but my readings seem strange to me.

About three weeks ago I replaced the oil cooler with a Bulletproof remote unit that uses the factory oil cooler. During the job I removed and installed a new Ford IPR sensor and added the improved screen to it. I removed and installed new Ford water/oil temp sensors, a Ford low oil pressure sensor, and a Ford ICP sensor (in the pax valve cover). I also installed the improved turbo feed line and turbo drain tube. I rebuilt the oil filter/fuel housing and installed new o-rings and the blue spring. I have the dual alternator set-up and had been running the lower alternator unplugged for the last several years. (I know I know). So I swapped in a reman alternator.

I managed start-up after running batteries dead a few times. During the drive I felt idle speed jump up by itself a few times while at low RPM. I felt an unusual skip or two in the motor but the power seemed ok. I accelerated and the truck pulled fine. At highway speed I heard what sounded like the engine hitting a high rev and trying to cut out, but it was very mild. I noticed this first at 2000rpm, but it may have not been pronounced enough for me to notice it at lower RPM. When the cut-out occurred strongest I slammed the throttle down to see if the problem would worsen, but the truck accelerated well with no cut-out, but when I eased off the throttle at higher RPM the cutting out returned. My Banks IQ showed P2284.

I installed 2 new batteries and replaced the ICP pigtail and soldiered it. That had no effect. I put the old ICP sensor back in. That had no effect. I borrowed a Snap-on Solus Edge scanner to test the truck. I would add that the truck starts up as quick as it has always started; 3-5 seconds.

Scanner results:
Key-on, engine off, ICP (voltage) reads .25, IPR reads 15.

During the crank sequence (before engine start), on a freeze frame, RPM is 157, ICP(voltage) reads 1.04, IPR reads 21, ICP pressure reads 768.8 psi. That seemed kinda normal.

Engine running at idle RPM, I read ICP (voltage) 1.2, IPR 15, ICP pressure 863.1psi. That seemed okay.

I drove the truck with a cleared code and noted that something occurred to change my readings. Before the change while driving under a short heavy acceleration to 54mph, I noted these readings: 3533rpm, ICP (voltage) 3.77, IPR 60, ICP pressure 3400.1. I eased off the throttle, stopped the truck, and noted an uncommanded REV-up by a few hundred RPM and back to idle. It was a quick burp. Afterwards ICP pressure and IPR readings went strange and the code 2284 came up. Looking at the graphs over time, RPM, ICP pressure, ICP voltage, and IPR all follow a similar curve---until the REV-up occurred.

The scanner next showed that as I mildly accelerated to 1705 RPM (about 15mph) graphs showed ICP voltage, ICP pressure, and IPR went up. But when I let off the throttle ICP pressure became fixed at 869.9. I continued to drive the truck.

The truck accelerated fine as it had under previous runs. The Scanner shows that although ICP pressure remains fixed, the ICP voltage climbs and falls with RPM. With RPM ranging from 630 to 1800, IPR holds at about 30. Then under a very heavy acceleration to 44mph, ICP pressure began to increase above 869.9, then followed ICP voltage upwards. ICP pressure climbed to 3479psi with an ICP voltage of 4.64. At that moment IPR read 69%. That seemed normal until I let off the throttle. Then ICP pressure drops back to exactly 869.9 which I assume is some sort of PCM-induced value.

It is during this time at higher RPMs I can hear the engine-cut-outs, but they are mild and the engine still responds to heavy acceleration. I have accelerated full throttle to 100mph and saw max boost values of 29psi (stock program). On engine shut-down and restart the problem seems to reset itself and the truck will run normally for a bit before the failure occurs.

To correct the problem I have removed the banks equipment. There was no change. I have ordered the ICP short connector that will allow me to test actual voltage on the ICP while the engine is running. I plan to soldier some wires and run the meter into the cab for testing.

The scanner reads a desired ICP pressure as well as the actual ICP pressure. When the failure occurs both the desired and actual read 869.9 at less than heavy acceleration.

The scanner also reads desired RPM as well as actual RPM. Desired RPM remains pegged at 640rpm all the time.

Also, engine running the FICM voltage in is 13.5 and voltage out was 47.5.

On the very last test run I got two new codes: P2138 and P2140. I had run the truck with my foot on the floor on that test. Is this a glitch or does this play into my problem?

I am sorry for the long post. Anybody experience something like this?

thank you,
Greg

Old 09-19-2016, 10:51 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Your IPR is plugged up or blown out if it won't run

15% running says it's trying to dump as much pressure it can

The truck is surging this also points to IPR

ICP and IPR check ok electronically

But time to pull IPR and inspect screen

Old 09-19-2016, 12:11 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And the default PCM for ICP is 875 psi, so I would agree, something with the ICP isn't right either. You can run with it unplugged, it will set a CEL, clear it when done.

As Benny mentioned, remove the IPR and check the screen and clean it. Make sure the valve is working by applying 12v to it briefly. You can push it open to remove anything stuck in it as well.

The ICP pigtail may need repairs. The RPM surges are normally ICP induced as its a commanded value, ICPV is actual and the IPR is responding to the ICP commanded followed by the ICPV actual as a verification signal.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM
hawkco66
Cross-Country
Thank you to both of you. I toggled the IPR function on the Scanner and heard the valve move, but there was no way to tell whether it moved all the way.

Your comments help at lot. I just have had trouble visualizing the IPR solenoid stuck at or near 15%. Since it is a dump valve doesn't it take full voltage to retract the plunger toward 15%? This would mean something is preventing the plunger from retracting---sometimes, correct?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM
hawkco66
Cross-Country
question for my understanding about the IPR valve.

Do I understand correctly from you that the only feedback that the IPR is set (15 to 85%) where the PCM tells it to go is by looking at the corresponding high side oil pressure detected by the ICP? And in my case since the ICP isn't giving me reliable data, that is why the IPR is probably stuck and likely not where the PCM has commanded it to be? (or plugged).

Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Even if the ICP is unplugged, the PCM commands the IPR to a value between 15-85% based on the demand of the throttle. Normally, ICPV default is 875, yours picked 869 and I'd lean toward a bad pigtail to the connector. Or the sensor is oil breached the electrical portion.

And yes, your assumption is correct in that the IPR is trying to achieve a % it can't reach... it's probably stuck.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM
hawkco66
Cross-Country
copy all. Thanks much!

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 AM
hawkco66
Cross-Country
Follow-up.
Reminder, my truck is the 2004 F250, 6.0, build date 5/2004.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to pull the IPR. For those curious, I was able to remove the IPR from the top of the motor without removing the Turbo or intake. I disconnected the batteries, drained about a gallon of coolant and removed the degas bottle, removed the turbo intake/air filter assembly, FICM and rear FICM bracket, rear intake bolt/stud, upper rear valve cover bolt/stud. I then carefully rolled both wiring harnesses out of the way after disconnecting the four fuel injectors, the glow plug harness, and obviously the IPR valve connector as well.

The wiring on the valve plug looked very nice. The IPR I removed was new and the screen I had used was the improved version. The screen was not only plugged but had been subjected to so much suction the screen had nearly been sucked inside out. But the screen had held with no tears or holes. I replaced the valve even though it was probably okay. With the new valve and new improved screen I installed the IPR valve. The electrical plug after tightening was too hard to access so I clocked the valve's body putting the connector near the 12 o'clock. The made access easy and seems to keep the plug away from heat sources. After putting the truck back together it started at about 5 secs of crank. I ran it for about an hour after that first start. The PCM and FICM took a moment to relearn, but the truck ran smoother. The uncommanded idle-up was gone and the 2284 code was also gone. The truck accelerated normally and there was no high-speed chatter from the injectors.

Problem solved unless I have more lint (which is what it looked like).

thanks to you guys and the forum.

Greg

Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Thanks for posting results

You had a pretty textbook situation

Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this thread I am wondering if I have something similar. I don't have the idling issues. The truck runs smooth as glass and will accelerate under normal conditions as if nothing wrong. However when I roll into the throttle to pass it usually throws me back and now it just seems to lug. No unusual smoke. I have the 2284 low icp code. When I roll from a dead stop to wot I get only 1.7-1.9 Icpv but when I come off the throttle it spikes for a split second to 3.3 or so. The IPR is original as well as ICP. 161kmi. No work as been done except an oil cooler 2 years ago and a total of 5 injectors 3 separate times. If you don't roll into the throttle the truck runs great. Thinking of unplugging the ICP and seeing if it makes a difference. It's a late 03 build. Late version 04. So ICP is easy enough to disconnect. Oil is at a good level and only 300 or so miles on it and I tied changing fuel filters and was only able to change bottom as plastic cheap nut broke off the top cap. Replacement cap is going to be here Tuesday. But bottom filter looked ok.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 10-15-2016, 09:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by wolffee
After reading this thread I am wondering if I have something similar. I don't have the idling issues. The truck runs smooth as glass and will accelerate under normal conditions as if nothing wrong. However when I roll into the throttle to pass it usually throws me back and now it just seems to lug. No unusual smoke. I have the 2284 low icp code. When I roll from a dead stop to wot I get only 1.7-1.9 Icpv but when I come off the throttle it spikes for a split second to 3.3 or so. The IPR is original as well as ICP. 161kmi. No work as been done except an oil cooler 2 years ago and a total of 5 injectors 3 separate times. If you don't roll into the throttle the truck runs great. Thinking of unplugging the ICP and seeing if it makes a difference. It's a late 03 build. Late version 04. So ICP is easy enough to disconnect. Oil is at a good level and only 300 or so miles on it and I tied changing fuel filters and was only able to change bottom as plastic cheap nut broke off the top cap. Replacement cap is going to be here Tuesday. But bottom filter looked ok.

Thanks
Ryan

Yours may end up different

probably needs a new ICP Just Guessing here Test and confirm

Post ICPV @ KOEO
Post IPR% @ KOEO

then when you can start and run it get it Hot and in Park/neutral ac Off
then do ICP and IPR% at Idle
Then ICP and IPR% @ 2500rpm

Old 10-16-2016, 01:24 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Ok so heres what i got for numbers today using AE
KOEO
ICP-.24
IPR- 14.84

idle cold
ICP-1.11
IPR 28.91
ICP pressure -822
ICP demand - 820

cold 2500 in park
ICP-1.8
IPR -40.23
ICP pressure -1397
ICP demand - 1390

Hot 2500rpm Driving down the street
ICP-1.07 -1.9
IPR- 82.4
ICP pressure - 767
ICP demand - 1820

Hot Idle
ICP- 0.78
IPR-23.00
ICP pressure -580
ICP demand - 580

Fuel pressure at idle is 58psi with mechanical gauge at port on secondary filter

I will say that when I went to do the run down the street it was kinda normal if you were taking off from a light under normal conditions until i got a little passed 2k and then i almost had to floor it to get it to 2500rpm and then when it did get there it would climb fast to just over 3k i took a picture of screen of the laptop and i will try and upload it showing the graph of how it drops off and everything. Hope its a sensor issue. I did unplug the sensor at idle and not sure but seemed smoother. Hard to tell. I have not drivin it yet with the sensor unplugged. I am at my folks house now watching some football and will drive home(10min drive) with it unplugged to see any difference. thanks in advanced

Old 10-16-2016, 04:11 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Question

So I drove home with the ICP discounted and drove the same no change. If anything worse Burt not real noticed. I still have p2285 and now 2290 but I think that's just because I drove it unplugged. I pulled the sensor and it looks clean inside. No debris but it is 13years old as well as the IPR but don't want to just replace unless I know it's them then I have no problem replacing them. Thanks guys! I got my ears open.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:33 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Also I have an Amsoil bypass so I have the billet filter cap feeding my Amsoil filter. I know everyone says OEM cap! But it's been on there for 125k mi so roughly 25 oil changes. I also tapped it with a pressure gauge and I'm making around 60psi at idle cold and when you just touch the pedal it climbs sometimes north or 90psi. Hot engine idle is always around 35-40psi. Nothing different there so I don't think I'm starving the HPOP

measuring the sensor went as so
With the the sensor in my hand with the tab at the top I have 6.2kohm from the top left pin to the top right top left to bottom I have 176kohm and from right to bottom I have 170kohm

Not sure if this helps anything

Old 10-16-2016, 04:55 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
ICP passed the baseline test of .24v

well IMO its going to be a IPR or maybe a HPOP

Leaning towards a Bad IPR since You Report that its Flaking out Mid range of ICp Pressure or the RPM Band
I suspect worn IPR

Pull and inspect IPR
remove screen and Push in on it with screwdriver it should move about 1/8" with a fair amount of force

Ohm it out looking for 6 ohm I assume it will hit fine electricaly and it has no quality control circuit to it so

Quick Reply: P2284 after oil cooler work, Ford 6.0