2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW - Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 06:29 PM
Highjumper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW - Initial Review

Despite “Stickergate”, I purchased a 2017 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW. It is Magnetic / Black. It has just about every option.

Here are a few of my initial thoughts about truck. I hope it is useful.
Adaptive Cruise: This system worked really well , better than expected. It gradually slows you down to the speed/distance of the vehicle in front. Immediately on using the turn signal and beginning a lane change it speeds back up to the cruise setting to pass. There were no errors in catching the wrong vehicle or wrong lane.
Lane Departure: This works much better than my wife’s GM. The steering wheel vibrates (as opposed to GM’sseats), and you can adjust sensitivity of system and intensity of warning easily. You can also turn it off with a button on thedash (no scrolling through menus) which is nice.
Adaptive Steering: Yes, it is noticeable, but not as much as I expected based on otherreviews. I had no complaints and it did seem nice, but it didn’t blow my mind either.
Tow System (Cameras): I love the CHMSL camera. The rest, I’m sure they will be useful, be only marginally to me. I think they are somewhat of a distraction at times. That said, you can change views to get what you want. I definitely need to play more with these. Overall, the cameras are a very nice addition to these trucks. One disappointing feature, which is done for safety, is that the cameras are disabled while driving forward (Ram trucks can view the trailer or bed while going forward).
LED Headlights: These are amazing! The light isvery white and bright. Much brighter than the prior MY. The auto-dimming function worked nicely as well, though it does struggle on occasion. For example, if your lights reflect too much off a sign, or if a bright light is off in the distance, then it dims the lights. Overall, however, I thought itworked well.
Seats: The platinum seats are nicer than the lariat for sure, with much better leather. I still don’t like the lower seating platform, but they are reasonably comfortable. I’m not sure how useful the massaging seats will be, but they seem to work well. As for the cool air, it does not work as well as the prior MY. And yes the seatbacks heat up, but not significantly or in any way that should heat up the passengers (non-issue in my book). Finally, I fit with a sunroof! I was surprised, but the seat height is the same as the F150s. Tall people will finally fit with a sunroof.
Sync 3: This system is a major upgrade. It even understands what I am saying for the most part! LOL The car play for my iPhone was very nice (my favorite feature)! I need to play with this more before opining further.
Cabin: This is MUCH quieter than the prior MY. Honestly, about as quiet as my wife’s Yukon (no lie). The ambient lighting is awesome as well, which was one of my favorite features on my 2011 F150 Platinum. I’m glad it’s in the Super Duty line.
Stereo: The new stereo is significantly better than the prior MY. It is loader and clearer, some of which has to be due to the quieter cabin.
Motor: The motor felt very nice, and very similar to the prior MY. I didn’t notice any greater lag than the prior MY, nor any great power improvement. I’m sure this comes into play with a load, but I think I would be kidding myself to say I noticed any significant difference. Two separate dealers told me that Ford has instructed them that this motor is operating at around 78% capacity, and that a simple flash can bump it up to around 600 hp and 1,170 lb/ft without modifying the motor or emisssions! Not sure I believe it, but it sounded nice.
Transmission: To me, this was the biggest surprise. It seems to shift much smoother and more unnoticeable than the prior MY. I’m not sure what changes were made, but if it is robust enough to handle the engine’s full capacity (see above), then it should be well equipped to handle the current ratings.
Fuel Economy: On a 200 mile trip over the mountains with cruise set at 74 mph, I averaged 18.6 mpg. I thought that was actually better than my prior MY before the big tires and leveling kit.
Overall Impression: Other than the seats, this truck is superior in every way to the prior MY. And vastly superior to the competition. It rides smoothly and quietly, and the finish is really nice. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be. I am looking forward to getting to know it a little better!
Feel free to ask questions. I'll help if I can!

Last edited by Highjumper; 09-16-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: To hide my illiteracy, or spacing errors:)
Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Thanks for the post. Sounds awesome!!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:36 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was a great post. Thanks!

Every time I see "BigStu59" I can't help but think of those annoying "Big Lou" commercials on Sirius/XM.

"Remember, Big Lou is like you.... his axles are underrated, too."

Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist
This was a great post. Thanks!

Every time I see "BigStu59" I can't help but think of those annoying "Big Lou" commercials on Sirius/XM.

"Remember, Big Lou is like you.... his axles are underrated, too."
I'm just a BigStu kinda guy

Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 PM
rawn77
New User
Great review & congrats on your new truck.
It makes me feel better on my recent change.
Saw my '16 Denali Duramax disappear down the road this afternoon driven by it's new owner
My new Platinum F250 arrives Tuesday. You give me faith that I made the right decision. Thank you!

Ron

Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Highjumper
Senior User
Originally Posted by rawn77
Saw my '16 Denali Duramax disappear down the road this afternoon driven by it's new owner
My new Platinum F250 arrives Tuesday. You give me faith that I made the right decision. Thank you!

Ron
You will be so glad you didn't settle on that Denali. It's so far behind the Ford in technology, comfort and build IMO. Not even the soon to be released Duramax will be able to save the rest of the GM truck. Congrats on your order!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rawn77

Ron
I drove both the GMC and Ford before I signed on the dotted line, trust me you made the right choice.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice truck. Could you post your payload rating per the door sticker? I'm guessing 3400 or so.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Highjumper
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Nice truck. Could you post your payload rating per the door sticker? I'm guessing 3400 or so.
A little lower. These crew cab Platinums seem to weigh every bit as much as the prior MY notwithstanding the aluminum.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:18 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review. I agree with what you've said.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Yorid
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Great review & congrats on your new truck. I ordered pretty much the same truck, Mine is built, just waiting for delivery

Old 09-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats and thanks for the review.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Highjumper
Senior User

After nearly 1,000 miles, I have noticed a few more things:
Suspension: The suspension on this is much smoother than the prior MY trucks. I am not sure how they changed the spring rates, etc., but it sure worked.
Auto Headlights: They are nice in dark settings (like out on the highway), but don't work very will in low light (dusk, dawn, town lights, etc.). They also seem to not work below 5-10 MPH.
Ambient Lighting: A cool feature is that when the truck is running and you open a door, that door's ambient lighting changes to red to indicate it is open.
Finally, I installed my old wheels (20x9 Fuel Mavericks +01 offset) and tires (325/60r20 Goodyear Duratracs) with the factory suspension. There is very minor rubbing on occasion on the outside/rear part of the wheel well, which can be fixed with minor trimming (no rubbing on the inside with that offest). That said, I think a level kit is preferable to keep a full range of motion with no rubbing. Anyway, those tires actually measure 35.4x12.8x20, so your standard 35x12.5x20 should work without rubbing.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:29 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love that color HJ.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Highjumper
Senior User
Originally Posted by EightySecond
Love that color HJ.
Thanks! Me too! And I am amazed at how well the metallic flek helps it hide dirt. I was afraid it would look like a black vehicle, dirty all the time. But it hides dirt as well as a white vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2017 F350 Platinum CC SB SRW - Initial Review