Sponsored by:

V-10 with Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
V-10 with Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler

After listening to every V-10 exhaust sound clip I could find I decided to go with the Aeroturbine 3030XL. To my ear it had the best sound without being too raspy like many of the other aftermarket performance mufflers, the 6.8 can be a challenge as they don't have the classic V-8 rumble we all grew with.
The muffler purchase made its way to the top of my to-do list once the factory muffler had its mounting rod rust off which lead to a small crack on the upstream side piping. I had the local muffler shop do the installation which included about 8" of additional 3" pipe to make up for the slightly shorter 3030XL (the "XL" has the built in resonator vs the 3030 without) and the cracked section.
My EX has the Banks headers and still has the factory 3" exhaust pipes, just now with the new muffler in place of the factory unit. My goal was to get something a little more free flowing for whatever performance gains come from it and of course to give it a little bit of rumble and growl. Since the EX gets most of its miles towing the big TT on the highway I was also looking to find something that wouldn't have any drone while cruising. The Aeroturbine 3030XL was pretty reviewed by several owners with very little drone reported at highway speeds. And our very own @Drunken_Unicorn who also tows frequently with his EX was very happy with his results using the same 6.8, Banks and 3030XL combo, and if you can't trust a drunk unicorn who can you trust?!
For the sound clip my son sat 10' from the tailpipe and I went from idle to 4500 PRMs twice on each clip as well as a 2500-ish RPM power braked rev. With the factory muffler the engine sound pretty much drowned out the exhaust sound, the 3030XL part of the clip sounds better to my ear. It sounds very good from the driver's seat on my 10 miles or so of around town driving with so far and it has a lot more bark at the higher revs.
Hats off to my son who shot the video, he was being tormented by wasps while shooting the clips, that's what the few camera swings are from. He held his ground but got double tapped by a wasp at the end of the clip, he got revenge with a can of Raid though!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome job Tom!!! Great audio quality, and awesome side by side comparison!

Your son should get an FTE Bravery award for holding the line from the wasps.

No doubt you will be keeping us updated on your thoughts on the sound while towing.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:51 PM
01FordEx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting Tom, this is great info for everyone!

I have wanted to change the muffler but have not pulled the trigger as most online videos have poor sound quality as well as the mufflers producing a raspy note. Your Ex sounds great from what I can tell...

Would you say that the new muffler produces a "deeper" and "louder" tone but overall similar to stock? That is what I would be after as we all know you cant make the V10 sounds like a nice V8.

Any benefit to replacing the exhaust tubing after the muffler to a larger diameter as well?

Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I love that sound. I have the 4040XL on my 7.3 Ex and although it does have a drone sound it performs great. With the 4" exhaust and new muffler I was able to get 2 mpg more pulling my boat. I have a V-10 in my pickup and want to switch it to the 3030XL and after listening to your I think I will do it sooner than later. Sounds like a big V-8

Old 08-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice sounding muffler. Kudos to your son for toughing it out with the wasps.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

I just ordered an Aero turbine 3030 on Friday!

Getting my HID'S done this weekend and

Ranch Hand bumper going on next week.

Then I will slap on the muffler. I love Aero Turbines! I run them on my Marauder as well.

Name:  996f54ac.jpg
Views: 7718
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  0e6870cc.jpg
Views: 7700
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 08-09-2016, 02:28 PM
CalEx4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aeroturbine 3030XL

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

I've had mine for 4 years now. Not nearly as shiny as it used to be, need to put my kids to work !

No drone ( from the Aeroturbine, kids always drone . . .) no resonance and it sounds great. Not Ricer in any way.

The front hangar is welded to a short piece of straight muffler pipe, the rest is OEM.

Last edited by CalEx4x4; 08-09-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add photobucket picture
Old 08-09-2016, 03:21 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

Those little 6.8's sound so cute!

Seriously, nice sound.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:16 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, I just added one to my watch list but the 4040xl for my 7.3. It seems to sound way better than the MBRP which is kind of raspy to me. Be a couple of weeks before I get to it. Gonna be laid up for a couple of weeks. I know they sound awesome on a 6.0.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm doing the 3030, not the 3030XL.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I imagine you've answered this question before and I've read it but I can't remember the answer.... Did the exhaust note change noticeably after the headers and do you still have the factory Y-pipe? (I assume your factory one had the Ramhorne loop, not just the T?)

I really like the sound of your truck, not overly loud but mean at the same time. Excellent

Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
THAT'S IT!!

Tom you just made me spend more damn money! It sounds fantastic! So fantastical that I'm ordering one for my 6.2 V8 F-150. I like the sound my V10 has w/a glass pack but I've been searching for the perfect mild but noticeable muffler to put on my pickup and I have found it now. Thanks a lot.... haha

Old 08-10-2016, 07:43 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
Awesome job Tom!!! Great audio quality, and awesome side by side comparison!

Your son should get an FTE Bravery award for holding the line from the wasps.

No doubt you will be keeping us updated on your thoughts on the sound while towing.
Thanks Aaron, your report sealed the deal on the 3030XL for me, so far I am very happy with the results and am looking forward to towing with it.
My son didn't even mention the wasps until we were finished, or I would have relocated. Crazy kid!

Originally Posted by 01FordEx
Thanks for posting Tom, this is great info for everyone!

I have wanted to change the muffler but have not pulled the trigger as most online videos have poor sound quality as well as the mufflers producing a raspy note. Your Ex sounds great from what I can tell...

Would you say that the new muffler produces a "deeper" and "louder" tone but overall similar to stock? That is what I would be after as we all know you cant make the V10 sounds like a nice V8.

Any benefit to replacing the exhaust tubing after the muffler to a larger diameter as well?

Thanks again!
I think it is definitely deeper and louder than stock, in my opinion the stock muffler was very good at muffling the exhaust note, to the point of it being so quiet the engine noise was louder than the exhaust as the video shows. With the Aeroturbine the exhaust now actually sounds like an exhaust, you can hear the rumble now, but not too loud or harsh like some of the V-10 setups I've heard. I don't think the 6.8 will ever sound like a classic V-8, but this is a pretty good combo to my ears.
I don't know if a larger pipe after the muffler would be of any real benefit, the cat and muffler are providing the pressure drops on the system and by the time the gas flow gets to the tailpipe it's cooler and a slightly smaller volume, but a bigger tailpipe would look cool!

Originally Posted by Big Sky
I love that sound. I have the 4040XL on my 7.3 Ex and although it does have a drone sound it performs great. With the 4" exhaust and new muffler I was able to get 2 mpg more pulling my boat. I have a V-10 in my pickup and want to switch it to the 3030XL and after listening to your I think I will do it sooner than later. Sounds like a big V-8
Not quite V-8-ish, but pretty good for the odd sounding V-10 to my ears.
If it help with my towing mileage I'd be a very happy camper!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
Nice sounding muffler. Kudos to your son for toughing it out with the wasps.
Thanks Scobie, I like it so far, and my son is nearly fearless!

Originally Posted by DOOM173
I just ordered an Aero turbine 3030 on Friday!

Getting my HID'S done this weekend and

Ranch Hand bumper going on next week.

Then I will slap on the muffler. I love Aero Turbines! I run them on my Marauder as well.

Doom, your Marauder is a beast! I'm looking forward to hearing your EX with the 3030 on it.

Originally Posted by CalEx4x4
[IMG]http://[/IMG]

I've had mine for 4 years now. Not nearly as shiny as it used to be, need to put my kids to work !

No drone ( from the Aeroturbine, kids always drone . . .) no resonance and it sounds great. Not Ricer in any way.

The front hangar is welded to a short piece of straight muffler pipe, the rest is OEM.

Do you tow with your rig? If so, how does the 3030XL sound under load at speed on the highway?

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback guys.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by twigsV10
I imagine you've answered this question before and I've read it but I can't remember the answer.... Did the exhaust note change noticeably after the headers and do you still have the factory Y-pipe? (I assume your factory one had the Ramhorne loop, not just the T?)

I really like the sound of your truck, not overly loud but mean at the same time. Excellent
Banks and Doug Thorley Headers come with a new y pipe. WE3ZS has a installation thread as well.

Quick Reply: V-10 with Aeroturbine 3030XL muffler