Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

homemade bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 PM
FtruckBrasil
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
homemade bumper

My homemade rear bumper

i want ideas or pictures for inspiration for continue !

Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
personally your chalk-up looks pretty damn killer.

perhaps cap the ends and make it air-tight. put some quick disconnect fittings for air hoses. use it as a air tank/reservoir. would be super convenient for offroad or a work truck.

to save your time/effort on cutting and grinding I suggest you align the sketch to one side completely. that will also give you excess material for other uses without having to buy more

Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
FtruckBrasil
Tuned
you have pictures ?

sorry if u do not understand! I'm from Brazil, not speak English
but I like a purchase of ideas,

Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like your design, it looks good. I got my led lights off amazon for around $20 USD

Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 AM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by FtruckBrasil
you have pictures ?

sorry if u do not understand! I'm from Brazil, not speak English
but I like a purchase of ideas,

Make sure you mount the LEDs flush or inside the bumper if you want them to last. If you mount them flush with the face of the bumper you could probably use some of your leftover steel to make a raised shield around the lights like what's on the back of semi trailers.

Originally Posted by The_Drew
I like your design, it looks good. I got my led lights off amazon for around $20 USD

Why do people go through all the effort of building a good bumper just to tack on lights that will need to be replaced every time you use the bumper?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Because they like the look? They're $20 lights that take 1 minute to replace. Not really a big deal. Chances are any hit hard enough to break the aluminum and glass lights are going to require repainting the bumper anyways.

Anyways FTruckBrasil, your bumper design looks great. I look forward to seeing the final result.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by FtruckBrasil
...Sorry if u do not understand! I'm from Brazil, not speak English
but I like (plenty) of ideas,...
Nice truck.

Nice project.

Your English is better than anybody here can speak or write Portuguese.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:44 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Because they like the look? They're $20 lights that take 1 minute to replace. Not really a big deal. Chances are any hit hard enough to break the aluminum and glass lights are going to require repainting the bumper anyways.

Anyways FTruckBrasil, your bumper design looks great. I look forward to seeing the final result.
With the lights outside the plane of the bumper it's not going to take a hard hit, just one unlucky fence post, tree or whatever. It's barely any extra work to mount them at least inside the face of the bumper.

If you like the look that much better and rarely wind up in situations where you back into trees then it's probably worth the tradeoff. On the other hand it's really not that much extra work and if that's the difference between lights that survive a 3pt on a dirt road and lights that don't then the extra work is worth it.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards
With the lights outside the plane of the bumper it's not going to take a hard hit, just one unlucky fence post, tree or whatever. It's barely any extra work to mount them at least inside the face of the bumper.

If you like the look that much better and rarely wind up in situations where you back into trees then it's probably worth the tradeoff. On the other hand it's really not that much extra work and if that's the difference between lights that survive a 3pt on a dirt road and lights that don't then the extra work is worth it.
lol can you not drive without hitting a fence post or trees??? It's pretty easy to avoid obstacles if you pay attention!

Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
I don't think I've ever backed into a fence post or tree. My bumper was already made I just cut the lights in. I doubt they would break even if I did back into something.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:53 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Originally Posted by westcoasting
lol can you not drive without hitting a fence post or trees??? It's pretty easy to avoid obstacles if you pay attention!
3pt turn on a dirt road = trees.

I drive a 20yo truck and treat it like one. It has bumpers. I use them. If I'm gonna build a bumper that's way beefier than stock you can bet I'll use it. If I'm backing up to a dock I back until I bump the dock. If I'm backing up to a tree I do the same thing. If I wanted to drive something fragile I have a 90s compact that's much better at being fragile (finger size tie rods that bend when you hit a pothole just right).

Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I make the same turns all the time too, i stop a couple inches from the tree...No point in damaging trees when out driving in the bush.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:50 PM
FtruckBrasil
Tuned
My idea was another!

use this ligths kkkkk

the lights will i make a frame that has more inside into the bumper

Old 08-09-2016, 06:04 PM
FtruckBrasil
Tuned
the original parachoque is very strong! but then bend it you can not straighten more!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM
phoskins
Elder User
I think your custom home-made bumper looks great so far. Share more photos when you make progress. We will be interested in seeing them.

Quick Reply: homemade bumper