2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:14 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration

For all AWD owners, be aware of a problem we've recently experienced. I use the gas pedal quite often if you know what I mean. My wife began to notice an odor in the cabin, immediately after I passed challenged drivers. This would occur with or without the HVAC on. It's been getting much stronger lately...so I decided to drop into my local Ford dealer's service dept and asked about this.

He knew exactly what I was talking about and said there's an issue with how the AWD connects and that something is going out...there should be a TSB on this. I searched on here for anything regarding an odor after accelerating but came up empty. Anyone else noticing a rotten egg smell after a hard/quick hit on the go pedal?

We have a Blue 2013 Limited AWD Explorer with tow package.

Last edited by USAF CCM; 03-12-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Add vehicle info
Old 03-13-2015, 11:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USAF CCM
For all AWD owners, be aware of a problem we've recently experienced. I use the gas pedal quite often if you know what I mean. My wife began to notice an odor in the cabin, immediately after I passed challenged drivers. This would occur with or without the HVAC on. It's been getting much stronger lately...so I decided to drop into my local Ford dealer's service dept and asked about this.

He knew exactly what I was talking about and said there's an issue with how the AWD connects and that something is going out...there should be a TSB on this. I searched on here for anything regarding an odor after accelerating but came up empty. Anyone else noticing a rotten egg smell after a hard/quick hit on the go pedal?

We have a Blue 2013 Limited AWD Explorer with tow package.
I'm glad you're having your dealership address this, USAF CCM. How many miles are on your Explorer? Let me know how things proceed at the dealer; I'll hang around to see if you need my help.

Crystal

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting how a failing AWD system would give off a smell, unless its something burning. I would have thought that it is unburnt fuel that is somehow recirculating back into the cab. What engine in your Limited? I suspect the Ecoboost?

We like our 2015 Explorer, except for the steering rack being replaced at 3700 kms...

Good luck with your resolutions!

Last edited by 96sherm; 03-23-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: our ex is a 2015 not 2014
Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordService
I'm glad you're having your dealership address this, USAF CCM. How many miles are on your Explorer? Let me know how things proceed at the dealer; I'll hang around to see if you need my help.

Crystal
Thank you Crystal...I assume you must be with Ford; my appointment is on Tuesday. Our Service Rep is the one who said it needed to be looked soon. We have a good dealership (Breese Ford in Breese IL). We have approximately 36,760 miles on "New Blue".

Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 AM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
Interesting how a failing AWD system would give off a smell, unless its something burning. I would have thought that it is unburnt fuel that is somehow recirculating back into the cab. What engine in your Limited? I suspect the Ecoboost?

We like our 2014 Explorer, except for the steering rack being replaced at 3700 kms...

Good luck with your resolutions!
We have the plain 3.5L...Ecoboost was only available on the 4 cylinder and the Sport models...at least on 2013 models. Wish it had a V-8!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by USAF CCM
Thank you Crystal...I assume you must be with Ford; my appointment is on Tuesday. Our Service Rep is the one who said it needed to be looked soon. We have a good dealership (Breese Ford in Breese IL). We have approximately 36,760 miles on "New Blue".
Thanks for responding, Les! Yes, I am a member of Ford's Social Media team; we have folks on Twitter, Facebook, and forums like this one. Come back and tell us how things go tomorrow; if you need me to step in, I'll be happy to help.

Crystal

Old 03-23-2015, 11:05 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Not AWD but exhaust flap?

Sorry I didn't post sooner...microeconomics exam study took priority. Dealership kept car for two days...found the AWD fluid was good...NOT the cause.

120 miles later, they discovered an exhaust flap stuck closed. I'm mechanically inclined and have shadetree worked on my stuff for decades...never heard of an exhaust flap.

The part arrived today, so tomorrow morning in I go...can't wait to see & learn about these exhaust flaps...what's their purpose. I'll post tomorrow evening on what I've learned.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 AM
oneowner83
Elder User
If this were 1980 I'd say it was the exhaust heat riser, a thermostatically- controlled flap that, when cold, would divert warm exhaust gases up to the carb to speed up warm up (and maybe reduce emissions). Maybe this is a 21st Century offspring.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:11 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Please read my new thread on this subject!

I'm starting a new thread...this problem can affect all newer Explorers; my title may not draw everyone to this current thread. Please check out thread titled "Cabin Exhaust Flap TSB".

Old 04-12-2015, 03:41 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Sorry its taken so long...I messed up my password/e-mail info & couldn't log on. After all the fuss, it was a misaligned lift-hatch. There was enough gap on the left side that vacuum was sucking in exhaust fumes. I centered the rear hatch and NO MORE EXHAUST FUMES! Ya!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 PM
oneowner83
Elder User
Sometimes it's the most logical answer. Good!

Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 PM
cwescapexlt4x4
New User
That's good to hear they fixed yours. Occasionally I smell it in mine but not enough to run to the dealer for their run-around.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:49 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Sorry I haven't posted sooner...the exhaust fumes are still with us. Windows open, windows closed; HVAC on, HVAC off. Just tolerating it for now.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:33 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I bet you'll find that if you turn the A/C or Heat on high, recirculate OFF and all windows closed you won't smell it. Its being sucked into the cabin exhaust flap. Apparently not enough to harm you but enough to be stinky! Even IF you can get your dealer to half disassemble the rear of your vehicle to apply the TSB fix it may not fix the problem. As me how I know.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 AM
Adam Gonzalez
New User
We have a 2015 Ford Explore that just started with the smell 29,000 miles. It was fant at first but just yesterday as we were driving the AWD light came on and show AWD off then the smell got so bad that we had to stop and get air. I have a app. with the dealer here in San Antonio Tx. but when I explained it to them they have no idea what I was talking about. I will let you know if any comes of there inspection.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rotten egg smell/pungent odor after hard acceleration