6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

P026A - anyone had this code show up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:42 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
P026A - anyone had this code show up?

took my new/old 36' 5th wheel for it's first trip from Phoenix, AZ to Laughlin, NV.. truck ran very well and pulls the hills great...gets about 8-10 mpg while pulling the 12K trailer..however...on the way back, stopped for fuel in Kingman, AZ, got on i40 and had the Check Engine/MIL light come on.. first thought was, not another stupid EGT sensor...stopped into Jones Ford in Wickenburg, AZ, and the mechanic came out and hooked his laptop up and started scanning for codes..P026A - Charge Air Cooler Efficiency Below Threshold - comes up. the mechanic said that it's probably a sensor for the air charge cooler...but he would need the truck overnight to check for sure..I asked him if it would be alright to keep on going to Phoenix..he said yes, that it might have got too hot and that is why it set that code(it was very hot 110+)..he cleared the code and I was on my way back to phoenix..

Well... took the trailer for a trip up to Utah, and not even 1/4 way into the trip, the MIL/Check engine light comes on again..checked it with my OBD/CAN scanner and P026A again...looks like another trip to the dealer. the problem doesn't seem to change the way the engine runs, although it seemed like it was getting lower MPG's, after the MIL/check engine light came on..anyone else had this code/issue come up? the mechanic at jones ford said this was the first time he had seen this code come up on a 6.7..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Howard.Judd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had that code turn up on mine today. The tech at my local dealer checked the troubleshooting manual and it said to first check the coolant level in the secondary cooling system. He did and mine was very low. Topped it off with coolant, cleared the code and all is well for now. Bad thing is he also told me the only time he had ever seen one lose coolant from the secondary cooling system it was because the EGR cooler was leaking. So, I'm going to monitor the level for a couple of days and check for external leaks before I take it back. At least I think it's still covered under warranty.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine was the sensor for the air charge cooler.. Just like the first mechanic said..ford must've used some really cheesy sensors on these trucks.. SO far 2 egt sensors and now the air charge cooler sensor,.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Mine tripped the same code last week towing our 38' 5th wheel. I did happen when the clutch fan was operating. I happened to see the light come on, just as it did there was a spike in the boost gauge of almost 10 psi. Don't know if that's relevant or not. I cleared it and it didn't come back in about another 700 miles of hard towing (75-80 mph traffic on I95 south). I guess I'll wait and see???

Old 11-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Murray Metherell
New User
Originally Posted by mebe2k
took my new/old 36' 5th wheel for it's first trip from Phoenix, AZ to Laughlin, NV.. truck ran very well and pulls the hills great...gets about 8-10 mpg while pulling the 12K trailer..however...on the way back, stopped for fuel in Kingman, AZ, got on i40 and had the Check Engine/MIL light come on.. first thought was, not another stupid EGT sensor...stopped into Jones Ford in Wickenburg, AZ, and the mechanic came out and hooked his laptop up and started scanning for codes..P026A - Charge Air Cooler Efficiency Below Threshold - comes up. the mechanic said that it's probably a sensor for the air charge cooler...but he would need the truck overnight to check for sure..I asked him if it would be alright to keep on going to Phoenix..he said yes, that it might have got too hot and that is why it set that code(it was very hot 110+)..he cleared the code and I was on my way back to phoenix..

Well... took the trailer for a trip up to Utah, and not even 1/4 way into the trip, the MIL/Check engine light comes on again..checked it with my OBD/CAN scanner and P026A again...looks like another trip to the dealer. the problem doesn't seem to change the way the engine runs, although it seemed like it was getting lower MPG's, after the MIL/check engine light came on..anyone else had this code/issue come up? the mechanic at jones ford said this was the first time he had seen this code come up on a 6.7..
My light has been off and in for the last 10k miles. it comes on when I'm pulling but usually goes of in a day or 2 after. just bought a scanner to find what it was. ...after reading this I'm not much smarter.....lol. it doesn't seam to have the power it should but I really don't have anything concrete to base it on .

Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was loosing coolant from secondary cooling system. Turned out to be secondary water pump. Bout $500 parts/labor

Old 02-27-2021, 08:18 PM
Ogford79
New User
Po26a code

and hooked his laptop up and started scanning for codes..P026A - Charge Air Cooler Efficiency Below Threshold - comes up. the mechanic said that it's probably a sensor for the air charge cooler...but he would need the truck overnight to check for sure..I my way back to phoenix..

Well... took the trailer for a trip up to Utah, and not even 1/4 way into the trip, the MIL/Check engine light comes on again..checked it with my OBD/CAN scanner and P026A again...looks like another trip to the dealer. the problem doesn't seem to change the way the engine runs, although it seemed like it was getting lower MPG's, after the MIL/check engine light came on..anyone else had this code/issue come up? the mechanic at jones ford said this was the first time he had seen this code come up on a 6.7..[/QUOTE]
This code is on my truck I just wondering what you find out in your truck how you fixed