Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unruly Second Row Seat Cargo Flaps...Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Unruly Second Row Seat Cargo Flaps...Solutions?

The velcro that holds the second row seat cargo flap is completely shot. When it does barely stick, since the seats are fabric, the tab tries to hold the cargo flap to the seat back but it pulls away from the back a good 2"-3" due to the weight of the flap.

I've shaved the fuzzies around the velcro tab to make sure they don't interfere. I've scraped out all the fuzzies stuck in the hard velcro sideto make sure it's not gummed up.

Has anyone come up with a solution for making those flaps stay in place?

My kids (5 of them) use the third row regularly and at times end up in the middle of the drive with the cargo flap banging them in the knees.

Solutions besides complete removal?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed the velcro on mine but also opened up the seat over (velcro'd on the inboard side) and shot spray adhesive on the particle board, now the material sticks to board vs. stretching in as your described. HTH.

PS if you don't use them, you can remove them, they are screwed to the bottom of the seat.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that someone used the setup from a Suburban. I am interested in this also as I fold and unfold seats for kids and projects.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Keeping it clean is the key.... but with age and wear they will get lazy

how about these possibilities ?
add snaps to the flap 'over' and the fold down portion so that you push the panel back up and then snap the flap to the panel....
(magnetic catches may do the same thing )

OR

Home Depot sells wide velcro that can replace the existing stuff.... just sew/glue it on...
good luck....

Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I went with the snap set up. It was easy and works well.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
I did the bucket to bench seat swap and had to repair the velcros on the bench seat I got. The prior owner of the seat used small sheet metal screws to hold it together. I probably will not use mine often but figured if I kept the screws in, the one time I need it, I won't have a screwdriver to get the screws out. I did what you did and cut off all the fuzzies. Since the velcros didn't line up, I bought new velcro with sticky tape (that's what they had). I used crazy glue in gel form to glue the opposite velcros to their respective places both the flap and the fold down thing. It holds to the fabrics real tight. I can tear off the flap to lower the other flap without having to worry about the glue not holding. It works great now and there is velcro where it is needed. What I find weird is that my 2000 excursion velcro's line up perfect and there is more velcro on it. On this 2003 seat, the velcro's didn't line up and there was less velcro all together. Usually they improve things as time goes on but looks like they messed this up. The fabric flap doesn't look stretched out at all so I think it never really was right. It is possible there is fuzzies stuck to the hook side of the velcro. I peeled a lot of fuzzies off that side and was able to free it up so that I could continue to use it. The loop side was all messed up and needed to be replaced.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
One other thing. If the flap is pulling away from the back of the seat, there is a screw under the flap that gives it support. Since the screw does not have a big enough washer on it, the fabric on the back of the seat may have pulled away from it. Take the screw out, add a bigger washer and throw some crazy glue on the back side of the washer so that it sticks to the fabric before putting the screw back in. That will hold the flap to the back of the seat good and tight.

By the way, thanks for the reps.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I tried the magnetic clip thing you get at Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics. Didn't work, so I just completely removed them. Couln't use the with the seat covers anyway.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
chazman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone give me an e mail that i can send a photo to. i put snaps on mine. works great. got them at lowes ..

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
aquariansaltwater
New User
I have two words!!! DUCT TAPE!!!

Not that is't the prettiest solution...but if all else fails!

I fixed my buddies with the snaps...they work great. The Crazy glue can cause issues. If you are going to crazy glue the Velcro in place go to the hobby store first and get some insta-set or insta-cure depending on the brand. It will make the glue dry almost instantly. Put the glue in place press the velcro where you want it and hold it there, THEN after it is in place spray the insta set on. It will do two things. It will make sure the pieces of velcro don't move from where you place them, and the fumes from the super glue drying turn the surrounding areas white...this will stop the fumes from discoloroing anything around where you glue.

Good luck with your repair.

Matt

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
a) magnets glued onto the flap & seat back.
b) Tie a string to the flap and wrap around the head rest.

Nearly every Ex I looked @ when shopping had this problem.
Several had just screwed the cargo flap to the seat back.
1 had actually removed the flap completely.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
azvazquez
New User
Just put a screw into it. You can feel the support on the second row seat to screw into.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:00 AM
dvldog458
Elder User
I have the same prob with my 2nd row panels. I use them alot when traveling with my two rottweilers....it acts as platform for the dogs to stand.
Can someone post a pic using the method with the snaps? That sounds like a clean install.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Since I use the ex a lot, the rear seat is out and we are forever loading it up with 'stuff' including the dog and the flaps are NICE:
saves a broken ankle when he goes wild back there
make it easy to slide the 60" tv in there (yippee)
or the new 65" tv stand the wife HAD to have even thought the tv is above the fireplace !!!!!

Snaps are pretty straight forward...
screw 'base' or male part into back of board where the velcro is...
crimp snap or female part on flap and wallah !

or I guess you could do both on the 'inside' of the flap between the flap and the seat back, but the cloth flap would then be useless and might be harder to line up....

here's another thread with some verbiage...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...seat-flap.html

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
chazman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvldog e mail sent..

Quick Reply: Unruly Second Row Seat Cargo Flaps...Solutions?