Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:00 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 80 Likes on 16 Posts
Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!

Got home this evening and ready to unhitch the camper, when I noticed broken silicon and stripes that were not lined up. Upon further inspection, it appears that there may be some broken welds around the pin box. You can see the stripe and the front trim line back up when I put pressure on the front jacks. I didn't even take it off of the truck to prevent possible further damage. Check all of your caulking around the nose of your campers to catch something like this early!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate that you are having so many problems with the Montana. When we took ours out for the 1st time in 2012 for spring break we had several things, but nothing major. We had a propane leak that smelled everywhere. It was one of the main lines between the 2 tanks. The water heater didn't work on propane. The washer/dryer vent came unhooked and was venting into the closet. The trim around the kitchen slide was hanging on the floor and pulled it all loose. The trim around the front door came off. Our dealer fixed it all. We have had water heater problems every year. This year it was the electric element on/off switch and the thermostat for the 3rd time. Right now my rear axle is bent and I need to take it to get lined up. I had a leak around the 1/2 bath fantastic fan on vacation. I caulked all the seams on the roof last week so I hope that is fixed. The cover over the front bathroom fan cracked and was leaking straight into the toilet, I had to replace the cover. The refrigerator stopped working once on electric, but started working again after I cycled it to propane for a while. The shelves in the outdoor kitchen were so cheaply made they all came apart and I had to fix all that. The wall board in the rear bedroom was coming off. Most of the screws holding on the fenders have worked loose at one time or another. The trim on the front corners and around front by the pin box has all been loose and glued back. I guess I'm saying I think they all have problems. I really feel like it is a shame that the quality in these things is so low. I know you probably have voiced it over on the MOC site also.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
My 2011 was a demo unit when we bought it. It was so screwed up they (KZ) bought it back and gave us another.

I think in this case I would be pushing for the same.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Tracy, I'm not at all surprised at the things that go wrong on the inside of the units. I mean dang, it only takes a full 3 days to build one from start to finish. NOT that I'm happy with ANYTHING wrong on any camper as much as they cost! What I think is absurd are frame failures. They are getting more and more prevalent these days. As much as I hate to say it, good welders are getting VERY hard to find. More and more are being replaced by automation. But too, you have to look at the quality of the steel they are using. Yep, I have a few more things going wrong with mine, but it is going to be up to Lippert/Montana if I even unhook the damn truck from it in my yard. As much movement as there is in that nose, I'm surprised one of the side walls didn't split. Funny, my wife has been complaining about the front closet door not staying closed when the unit is level. Now I guess I know why!

Scott, I will be mentioning that very thing. I had to battle Forest River when they put 6k axles under my Sandpiper that weighed over 13k pounds from the factory. I'll use every source at my disposal to make sure the rig is safe to use.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:52 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Monty, that stinks! I know you'll get with the dealer. The timing just stinks is all.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:24 PM
tracyclifton
Elder User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Tracy, I'm not at all surprised at the things that go wrong on the inside of the units. I mean dang, it only takes a full 3 days to build one from start to finish. NOT that I'm happy with ANYTHING wrong on any camper as much as they cost! What I think is absurd are frame failures. They are getting more and more prevalent these days. As much as I hate to say it, good welders are getting VERY hard to find. More and more are being replaced by automation. But too, you have to look at the quality of the steel they are using. Yep, I have a few more things going wrong with mine, but it is going to be up to Lippert/Montana if I even unhook the damn truck from it in my yard. As much movement as there is in that nose, I'm surprised one of the side walls didn't split. Funny, my wife has been complaining about the front closet door not staying closed when the unit is level. Now I guess I know why!
I hope you get it squared away. We get campers so we can go relax somewhere. It sucks when they fail. That is why we sold our Sandpiper in 2011. I was tired of all the hard work and it didn't seem like it was worth it. A month later we bought the Montana because we realized it is worth it.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Dang, after reading this thread I think you guys just saved me a bunch of money and cured me of the RV bug!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Pretty much the norm for all RVs.

Steve

Old 07-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, I hope they fix your rig properly.
or replace it. ( not likely )

the more I see the issues with New or almost new rigs.. the more I am pleased I purchased a used 10 year old trailer..

Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
this is going to have to be addressed by the manufacture. A trip back to Indiana.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
this is going to have to be addressed by the manufacture. A trip back to Indiana.
To me that should mean a replacement unit. Would you want a unit that you paid for new to have the equivelant of a heart transplant?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
So far today I've emailed Montana, the factory rep we got it from and Lippert Components and attached the video. I didn't expect to hear anything today and really not the next couple of days. I fear this is really going to be a headache! The dealer said this is WAY above them to try and repair and I thought about the mobile Lippert frame guys that they send out, but if it can't be seen from underneath, then the entire closet and nose have to come out! So far we are skeptical of making our two next week long trips in October that have been booked and paid for over a year. We use the rig every 3 weeks and I know we won't be making the next one in 2.5 weeks from now.
I never had a single problem out of either one of our Sandpipers except FR putting 6k axles under a 13k rig! They stepped up and took care of it though. I do realize this is likely to happen in any brand out there, but so far, we've been less than happy with the quality of workmanship in this Montana! We are battling AC issues with the new style "Whisper Quiet" units, both rear side skirts are sliding down after their "staples" pulled loose, the frame issue and the banister behind the recliners has broken loose from the wall. All since the second week of April when we took delivery!
I have a feeling my "consult" may end up being summoned for this one!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Monty, I think I'd put him on retainer now. At least consult with him. Think you may at the least need a friendly letter from him to Montana.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Do not involve an attorney for more than consultation with you, until you are certain you have to do so. The minute there is the hint of legal action, all communication with you will stop and be between attorneys.

Steve

Old 07-27-2016, 08:13 AM
UnclKracker1
New User
Depressed

OMG! I'm picking up a new Montana High Country this Friday. I see so many in the campgrounds and those owners I've talked to praised them. I suppose when you spend that much on anything you hate to admit if you made a mistake. I'll post my experiences with it in the future.

Quick Reply: Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!