Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

You guys don't know what you're missing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 08:19 AM
otto
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that normal knocking is almost as bad as Fords normal "cackle" or Fords routing maintainence plan of changing head gaskets at 80 thousand miles on the 3.8's, how people can expect a complex piece of machinery like a engine to be perfect all the time i will never know, there is no best only personal preference

Old 06-02-2001, 06:42 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

I think that I will stick with my older truck. .

Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 06-03-2001, 12:12 PM
#######

The Duramax has been in production since October of last year. At this point, there are NO known serious issues.

The tapping sound in my truck is not an issue. I don't even notice it anymore. I am pretty **** about my trucks. If I was concerned about it, then it would have been in for service by now. I picked my truck up April 21 and now have 3700 miles on it. I have not had one thing yet that needs the attention of the service dept.

Hoot hollar and dig all you want. So far the Duramax has had an excellent "new engine" rollout.

The Allison has had a few programming issues that mostly have been dealt with. My truck is better than one would expect from a first year drivetrain.

The Powerstroke and the auto behind it is still coming out of the factory with issues. NOw that is something to be concerned about.

Mike

2001 GMC Crew Cab/ SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison

Old 06-03-2001, 06:48 PM
iknowitall
Senior User

The automatic is haveing problems because the engine is so damn powerful it just runins the trans.

Old 06-03-2001, 07:08 PM
#######

>The automatic is haveing problems because
>the engine is so damn
>powerful it just runins the
>trans.

I think you're talking about Ford and Dodge automatics.

The Allison isn't having any serious problems related to loads.

Ford and Dodge diesel owners wish they had the Allison option. They do in the Medium duty trucks.

Mike

Old 06-03-2001, 09:55 PM
daywalker
Senior User

While I would be the first to jump on the SFA boat, I have to admit. The Dana 50 i currently have has taken some serious beatings and the alignment is fine. I went to Chicago and did more "offroading" in two days then I generally do in 6 months. Driving over curbs, retainer walls, that crap they but in the middle where a turn lane should be, pot holes the size of a bucket seat, and in some places simple lack of pavement. The thing is I hit a lot of this stuff at a decent speed. So IFS might not be best, but it sure doesn't suck.

Daywalker
92' F-250HD 351 4x4 xlt 4.10 ZF 5speed supercab longbed

Old 06-04-2001, 07:14 AM
#######

>Yea that normal knocking is almost
>as bad as Fords normal
>"cackle" or Fords routing maintainence
>plan of changing head gaskets
>at 80 thousand miles on
>the 3.8's, how people can
>expect a complex piece of
>machinery like a engine to
>be perfect all the time
>i will never know, there
>is no best only personal
>preference

Ford's diesel cackle effects performance. The Powerstroke injectors are $300 a piece. Most guys sell there Powerstrokes when they are told it needs injectors.

Old 06-04-2001, 09:25 AM
ryanstruck
Elder User

The Powerstroke and the auto behind it is still coming out of the factory with issues. NOw that is something to be concerned about.

Mike

Uhhh, what are those huge issues Powerstroke is dealing with? I work with my cousin's husband in landscaping. He has a 1995 F-350 PS XL 4x4. Not one single problem. And the dump body is almost always loaded with 5 yd mulch or a full back of wet grass clippings, plus everyday we pull a 20 foot dual axle trailer with 3 scags, several blowers and a few push mowers. Never in its six years has the truck had any problems with the Powerstroke. Even the new ones are beauties. and the truck actually lookes good. I think the sloped fenders look much better than the Ram, and the ground clearance is definately nicer than the lowriding Silverado. Easier for the women with long dresses to step in. Awww, how kind of Chevy, always looking out for all the ladies.

Ryan
1986 F-250HD 4x4
351W, Edelbrock 351 Performer Intake
Holley 750 4bbl
Flowmaster dual chambered exhaust
Warn Black Diamond 3" Sus lift
35x12.5 BFG TA/KO

Old 06-04-2001, 09:46 AM
#######

There are many happy Powerstroke owners. There are many unhappy ones too. Spend a little time over at Ford-Diesel.com.

I have a friend with a '95 PSD that has had three automatics. He does use the truck for work though and he doesn't just pull around lawnmowers. They all can haul mulch pretty reliably.

All I'm saying is Ford has had plenty of time to get the PSD and the automatic behind it bullet proof. That hasn't happened although the PSD has become quite reliable, there have been far too many complaints of poor performance, poor mileage, cavitation issues, and the infamous cackle that is more prevelent now than in previous models. The cackle is not just a noise. It is related to the oil/hydraulic injection system and has a marked effect on performance.

So far I have none of the above with my truck. I'm not saying there aren't any problems whatsoever but the GM powertrain is in it's first year and so far it's coming through pretty much as advertised.

Many of you call GM trucks a "women's" truck. I don't get that reaction in real life, on the road. Most Ford and Dodge diesels stay clear. I think it really eggs them to think a GM truck is faster, stronger and....... more comfortable.

Word is the over-the-road vacationers, the ones that tow the big trailors cross country, are making the big switch as we speak. Count on seeing more and more good looking GM diesels on the country's highways this summer.

Old 06-04-2001, 10:52 AM
TBirdGuy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree with the whole Ford tranney problem. I think it's alot of owner neglect that does it. The F-350 PSD Auto 4x4 Wrecker at the auto repair placed I worked has had many hard miles of towing and it has never slipped or anything. We maintained the truck meticuously. It towed a couple fully loaded Chevy C-60's, and had to back them into places and the tranney performed fine. It has never burnt any fluid.

TBirdGuy

"Stuck with a m*par, Settle for a ch*vy, Happy with a Ford!!!!"

Old 06-04-2001, 04:31 PM
otto
Posting Guru

You must understand he is biased toward chevy since he owns one, and must blow any problem that ford has way way out of proportion, and if the "cackle" was so bad and the DT444E was such a piece of junk it wouldnt still be produced and put in so many vehicles that its unreal, he can talk and talk about how bad this motor is but the simple fact is that isuzu motor will never earn a reputation for outstanding realiabilty, power and longevity like the dt444 & 466 have

Old 06-06-2001, 07:52 PM
66ranger
Elder User

I would still rather have my ole 66 ford!Or even my '74 Supercab!

Old 06-06-2001, 07:59 PM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru

Ditto on the 60's Ford Trucks! I know mine get's more looks than the new chevy's!

Plus it sounds much better than they do too! Flowmasters with a big block just sounds so much better than some other kind of engine.

1988 F-150, SWB, 5.0 EFI (formerly 4.9 EFI), M5OD 5 speed, 3.08 gears, Summit shorty truck headers, Custom built Flowmaster exhaust system. Force 4 LP6000 lightbar, Federal signal PA-300 100 watt siren, Icom IC-V100 50 watt mobile radio.
=======================================
1965 F-100 (just purchased 1/18/01), SWB, 390, C-6 auto. Dual exhaust, Not much else to do to it.

Can see both below.

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

Old 06-08-2001, 09:59 AM
ryanstruck
Elder User

<<There are many happy Powerstroke owners. There are many unhappy ones too.>>

This may be true, but I will bet anything the same goes for chevy and dodge owners being unhappy as well.

<<Spend a little time over at Ford-Diesel.com.>>

Have many, many times...maybe you should spend some time at http://forums.pickuptruck.com/Forum11/HTML/004818.html
Also try looking at GMC-Diesel.com/Chevy-Diesels.com/Dura-Max.com/Diesel-Truck.com look in the forums and you will see many problems about loud vibrations from the rear when pulling trailers, ****-poor gas milage, D-Max's dying with 6,000 miles on them, and get this...others mention the "ticking noise", and they say they all have it, it's the "high pressure fuel rail"..."all normal stuff", but it also seems to be ticking from the front drivers side wheel...hmmm...

<<I have a friend with a '95 PSD that has had three automatics. He does use the truck for work though and he doesn't just pull around lawnmowers. They all can haul mulch pretty reliably.>>

I also have some friends...hehe...one has gone through two chevies in less than a year. The other drives a 2000 F-450 Diesel for a lumber company, fully loaded with lumber or pallets every day, no problems at all. Seems Ford has worked out the problems and made my cous's husbands '95 F-350 PS "bulletproof", and my friend Paul's '00 F-450 "bulletproof". And are you implying wet mulch, 8 yds of it no less, is nothing to pull all day everyday? I will tell you, here in New England, in the landscaping business hauling sod, loam and mulch (which apparently isn't to much anyways according to some), I see, and I'm not exagerating, probably 70% of the trucks used in the business are Ford. The rest are Chevy and Dodge. And In other businesses like EMS ambulances, always E-350 vans or trucks. Fire Departments, almost always Ford. Police, always Crown Vic Police Interceptors or Undercover unmarked Stangs. Why is is with these professions that are critical to the survival of people, a company would choose a Ford over a Chevy, if the Chevy is supposedly so much more reliable?

<<All I'm saying is Ford has had plenty of time to get the PSD and the automatic behind it bullet proof. That hasn't happened although the PSD has become quite reliable,>>

Again, apparently it has with all the Diesel owners I've known

<<there have been far too many complaints of poor performance, poor mileage,>>

Poor milage like the ones I have read much about with the Dura-Max at that GMC site I mentioned above???

<<cavitation issues, and the infamous cackle that is more prevelent now than in previous models. The cackle is not just a noise. It is related to the oil/hydraulic injection system and has a marked effect on performance.>>

The cackle of Ford? Or the cackling tinging rapping sound of the D-Max, whether it be your problem, or the vibrating from the back when towing a trailer, or the rattling from the front drivers side wheel?

<<So far I have none of the above with my truck.>>

Read the message board at GMC-Diesel.com. It would seem that many people are suffering and the D-max isn't as bulletproof as many would like it.

<<I'm not saying there aren't any problems whatsoever but the GM powertrain is in it's first year and so far it's coming through pretty much as advertised.>>

Hehe, ok, apparently someone is only looking at their truck and not any others like all the ones who are having problems with the D-Max dying after 6,000 miles n it.

<<Many of you call GM trucks a "women's" truck. I don't get that reaction in real life, on the road. Most Ford and Dodge diesels stay clear. I think it really eggs them to think a GM truck is faster, stronger and....... more comfortable.>>

Speaking on the line of comfort, I highly disagree. I was looking for a truck a few years back and test drove the GMC 1500. It was supposed to have a "euro-suspension", meaning it would handle like a car, much smoother, softer ride. Turns out the truck was much stiffer than the Ram, which I had originally thought was the worst. But even if it was smoother like a car...isnt that making the truck much more user friendly to women everywhere? And I guarantee you this. Seeing a GM truck on the road has never EVER scared me or made me timid. I pull right up along side any truck in my 86 F-250 and I rock them like there's no tomorrow. I would never just let back if one of you guys tried to mess with me.

<<Word is the over-the-road vacationers, the ones that tow the big trailors cross country, are making the big switch as we speak. Count on seeing more and more good looking GM diesels on the country's highways this summer.>>

Where's this word coming from? Straight from the horses hoof? Or the Bull's ****?

Old 06-19-2001, 11:59 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User

Sorry, but Ford out sells BOTH GM AND Dodge with the Super Duty alone!

Quick Reply: You guys don't know what you're missing.