View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iggy2
Here is the Ford statement out of their book. The transmission is the same in both the 6.2L Gas and the 6.7L PSD.

Torque converter provides connected feel and better efficiency
The torque converter of the 6R140 transmission is designed to be accurately controlled and efficient. A closed-piston design provides precise control of the lock-up clutch. Its torque multiplication is matched with the rest of the powertrain for better off-the-line performance, but that’s only the start. Once under way, a long-travel, high-capacity turbine damper allows the torque converter to dampen out the extreme torsional force produced in particular by the new, more powerful diesel engine.

This damper allows us to lug down to 900 rpm while our competitors lug to around 1,100 rpm,” Bruck said. “This technology allows us to stay locked more, which means the engine can run at a lower rpm and get better fuel economy.

UNQUOTE

I'm not sure if they can electronically change it. Both truck have the same transmission version.
Yes your correct both engines use the same trans. Yes the lockup can be changed electronically. I just can't see the 6.2l being able to exploit the 900rpm TQ unlock point much, the 6.7l I can see, due to the gobs of torque it produces at a low rpm. A small amount of throttle input will cause the 6.2l to have to shift at such a low rpm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 6.2l SD with 4.30s and one of Mikes tunes, I think that is the only way I would feel happy with the truck.