View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
RadRick
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
The reason for my original post was the same cited by other users, all of the other new Ford truck engines get 4v DOHC heads, but the 6.2 goes backwards in technology compared to the 3v V10. Sure the 6.2 has 23 more horsepower, but it loses 52 lb ft of torque compared to the V10. I'm looking to replace my V10 within the next couple of years and I want something with a substantial increase in pulling power, not just a little more power. I'm not trying to avoid being outdated, but with the rumors that Chevy may put a 7.0L gas engine in their trucks I don't want to be dissapointed a year later when when Ford counters them or anyone else.

A DOHC setup gives the ability to change the cam timing and overlap, giving the engine both more torque at low RPM and more hosepower at high RPM, along with better mileage. I don't care if it has an aluminum block, cast iron is fine with me as I don't see the 80 pound weight savings making much of a difference on a Super Duty. As for direct injection, I personally have no use for that either, as its just one more really pricey item to fail.

I have read quite a few comparison tests between the 6.7 Diesel and 6.2, and its surprising how close they are to each other in typical magazine testing conditions, i.e. drag races. I just have to wonder if Ford didn't purposely hold back on the 6.2 as a marketing strategy to sell more Diesels to help recover more of their development money on the 6.7. If that's the case I hope they bring out a 500hp 1000ft/lb version of the 6.7 soon so we can have a 4v 6.2, or better yet a 4v DOHC 7.0...