View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lauraj
Finally, the exhaust smell wafted through the cab and the mechanic noticed it even before I did. Air filter, cetane, and map tube cleaning made a huge difference in perofrmance already. Went back to the shop to check the down tubes fromn the turbo. Turns out they were fine, but he found lots of exhaust leaking from the heat exchanger and said there was no gasket. They are installing a gasket under warranty.

Mechanic says there should be one, but occasionally sees a truck without one. I did a little poking around on the web, and found some sites that said Ford does not always put one on there at the factory??

Thanks for all your help, because I mentioned some of these items to the mechanic, which I think prompted him to look a little deeper.

Laura

p.s. Speaking of long idles, my husband has been in the habit lately of starting the truck in the morning and then letting it run for 15-20 minutes while he gets ready for work. I had been fussing at him because of the fuel waste, but I finally told him, in the manual, it says DO NOT IDLE FOR LONG PERIODS! What is the high idle mod and how do you get one? Thanks!
I am puzzled...what "heat exchanger" was he referring to? I know of no heat exchanger in the exhaust circuit...other than the EGR cooler. I wonder what he was talking about. High Idle mod is covered in the tech folder at the top of this forum...or you can do a search to bring up the info. Good luck.