View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by sledhead_24_7
I for one could use a lot more power. Starting out at 6200 ft and going up from there I suffer from the Higher altitude loss seen during the "Fumble in the Rockies". With mountain passes in the area that are 10% grades or more they really sloooow down the 6.7 towing. And zero "engine brake" assistance also.
I guess I just don't see the problem.

400 HP is more than some semi trucks have. I've pulled the same grade as the "fumble" in the rockies at 20 MPH with the pedal on the floor before with a Kenworth and it's 435 HP 15.2L Caterpillar twin-turbo engine. That truck had a radiator that's much larger than what's found in a light truck like our Super Duties, and it overheated 2/3rds of the way up the hill!

I think it's downright amazing that pickup trucks are beginning to rival heavy duty trucks in power, even though they tow a fraction of the total weight.

Everyone wants to be able to go the speed limit or faster up some steep grades while towing heavy things. This just isn't a reasonable thing when you start to tow 10,000 lbs and over.