Old 02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't look at all the pics, but from the 3 I did, it looks like you definitely don't have the adjuster set up right. When the adjuster is set up, the round cutout at the top of the shoes will sit snuggly against the pivot pin at the top AND the pistons will be straight, not crooked like the pics. I have made this mistake a few times, it's common.

WHen you install things, adjust the adjuster rod/star wheel before installing so that it just slips between the bottom ears of the shoes WHILE the top half moon cutouts are ON the pivot pin. Thenn hand adjust before installing the drum and check the fit as you go.

Check to see if the drums will slide over the shoes. It should just barely slide over. It may even require a little jiggling of the drum to get the shoes to wiggle around equally.

MAKE Sure you install the adjuster in the RIGHT Direction. If you put it in backwards it will adjust out every time you use the brakes and then will lock up. It is a beach to unadjust this. Been there done that, duh. BTW, I forget which way is the correct direction so look at pics or ask the other guys.

Once the drum is on, you adjust the star wheel while turning the drum until you hear some grating noise from the shoes. Then take it for a drive and backup and stop several times, this will usually adjust the brakes properly after a few stops.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson