Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Make sure the key is off. Then just pull the chip out. Then the programming will just go back to the stock PCM programming. If the chip is bad the truck should start. Either way I would leave the chip out until its up and running.
Will do! I wasnt sure if I pulled the chip, if I was gonna lose all the fuel tables and maps for it. Knowing that I can de-chip it and go from there is awesome!

As for an update.. What a nightmare!!! I went to a variety of autoparts shops looking to get a new computer, after seeing brand new they are around $130. Problem being, order and shipping time. Many of them will get it to me next week.. Not working on my schedule. I had serious issues with the rocket scientists at Autozone.. They wouldnt get me any info unless I provided a VIN. Problem being.. the engine and computer are from the donor truck, which has been recylced into a park bench or something, along with all the paperwork!

So I went to the dealership here. I originally hit the first parts guy up for the computer.. $580.. I think not! I told I needed a moment to think over that price.. he walked away from the counter leaving me to wonder.. I asked to speak to the head service tech supervisor here. The service manager was really patient and helpful with me. She went over the codes and process I went through to trouble shoot the problem. The final code (P1663) I told her about. She went online through the Ford Service Tech manuals and info, found that its the IDM that has failed. Good news.. TJ's advice with the chip out can be tested with some promise, and I will need to get a new IDM. I am not going through the dealership on that one.. $1140 is what they want for one, and it takes 2 weeks to ship. I have another source down here I am going to tap and see where it goes from there.. I will keep ya'll updated! Thank you all for the help!!!