View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Richard2212
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sean,

Thank you for your quick response. (MY UPDATE ADDED)

Basic Design Concept:
Pull-Rite has a mechanical forward pivot point while the Hensley and ProPride operate through a virtual pivot point.

Weight:
I cannot find the weight listed anywhere for the Pull-Rite. The Hensley and the ProPride both weigh about 195lbs.
(PULLRITE IS 10K HITCH 275#, 20K HITCH 350#)

Ease of Use:
I don't know how to answer this because ease of use is a subjective point. I think they are all easy to use. I can tell you that I have sold almost 3000 ProPride hitches and have had less than 10 phone calls about hitching and unhitching. While I was running Hensley Mfg I had a guy answering these calls every day. This is a fact and I don't mean it to bash for anyone reading it as that.
(PULLRITE USE IS SIMILAR TO ANY WD HITCH. ONE ADDITIONAL NICE THING ABOUT PULLRITE IS THAT YOU CAN RE-HITCH WITHOUT REMOVING THE BALL MOUNT PIECE FROM THE TRAILER. THE JACK ON THE TONGUE OF THE TRAILER GIVES YOU UP/DOWN MOVEMENT AND THE SWIVEL OF THE HITCH BAR GIVES YOU SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT. JUST LEAVE THE BALL MOUNT ON THE TRAILER - BACK UP TO THE TRAILER - ADJUST AT THE TRAILER AND HITCH BAR -BACK IN TO IT -PUT THE PIN IN RESET WD BARS, ETC AND YOU ARE DONE - CLEAN AND EASY.)

Cost:
Pull-Rite and Hensley do not list pricing on their web sites. I don't know why in today's world that a customer has to call to get a price. However, I do know the retail price, as of January 26, 2011 for the Hensley. Hensley is $3270 (1400#, 14,000#). ProPride is $2495 (1400#, 14,000#) and I couldn't find the Pull-Rite anywhere.
(PULLRITE 10K $2245,20K $2865 LIST PRICES)

Ease of Installation:
Again, ease is subjective. The ProPride does not require any drilling and is measure and bolt on. It has been my experience over the last 14 years that the Pull-Rite cannot be installed by the average RVer. The Hensley and ProPride is installed by the end user in, what I would guess, 98% of the time.
(I INSTALLED MINE MYSELF - NOT DIFFICULT)

Transfer of Hitch New Tow Vehicle/Trailer:
Pull-Rite is vehicle specific so may not always transfer to the next tow vehicle. Both the Hensley and ProPride may require a different offset on the hitch bar to accommodate a different height. If so, the Hensley requires the owner to send the hitch bar back to the company and get a new hitch bar shipped to the owner. The shipping cost is the responsibility of the owner. The ProPride would require removing 3 bolts and adjusting the hitch bar to the required offset. Jim Hensley was awarded a patent on this adjustable hitch bar at the end of December 2010.
All can be used with new trailer. Same hitch bar offset issue with Hensley and ProPride.
(I AM NOW USING MY PULLRITE FROM MY 1996 BRONCO ON MY EXCURSION- MADE NEW BRACKETS -STRAIGHT/FLAT STEEL - DRILLED SOME HOLES IN THE BRACKETS - NO WELDING)

How ProPride stabilizes:
The ProPride locks out pivoting of the trailer on the hitch ball. When the trailer attempts to pivot, the forces are transferred through the hitch head linkage. If you could actually see the forces, through a force vector diagram, you would see those forces intersecting at 52" forward of the hitch ball. By not allowing the trailer to pivot on the hitch ball the trailer no longer has the leverage on the tow vehicle that a conventional hitch allows at the rear overhang.
(PULLRITE HITCH BAR PIVOT IS JUST BEHIND THE REAR AXLE OF THE TOW VEHICLE. WHEN YOU TURN THE TOW VEHICLE RIGHT THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER TURNS TO THE RIGHT - NO VECTOR FORCES - JUST EASY MOVEMENTS.)

PULLRITE CAN BE CONTACTED AT 574 259-1520

PULLRITE ADVERTISES FOR JUST 4WD - IF YOUR 2WD HAS BEEN ADJUSTED WITH BLOCKS OR WHEELS AND TIRES TO HAVE THE GROUND CLEARANCE OF A 4WD - YOU CAN USE THE PULLRITE HITCH.