View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fgials
I am running a fleet of trucks and am just trying to limit topend speed to 70 no more. thanks
If you cannot limit the top speed either from Ford or aftermarket, then how about a speed recorder?

It won't stop the speeding, but it will give you the ability to review and then deal with the offending driver(s) The nice thing about the GPS style over the mechanical recorders are this - it is just not about the top speed limiting, but it checks speeds in all areas such as a school zone, or if going 45 say in a 35 zone, etc.

Where I work some of the trucks are equipped with GPS tracking, and a report is emailed daily on speeding to the office and drivers - but in that case the trucks are assigned to a paticular driver. Easy to track who has what truck number.

While the libertarian in me doesn't take to big brother snooping, and it will never hapoen on my personal vehicle, in this case it is a private company that I choose to work for, and one of the things that I choose to accept by that choice to work there is the GPS, or the possibility of such.

You most likely are going to loose a driver or two if you go the GPS route, but you will lose them eventually anyways if they have tickets, and you wont have to wait until there annual DMV/DOT records check to find out what they have been doing in your trucks with your name on them! And on your insurance policy to boot!

Good luck with this.

David