View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
danielwd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23
I am talking about the joint that has two flanges that links the front pipe/catalytic converter to the rear pipe/muffler. The 31372 that Powersmoked showed a pic of is the proper gasket. When you remove the springs/nuts/bolts at flange you will see the front pipe has a ridge the gasket fits on. Install so the taper points toward rear pipe. If you want to view the Walker catalog here is a link. Click catalog on left side, click exhaust system option in middle of page and input truck inf. On the picture that shows up you will see the gasket number in the pic in the location it fits.I had leak in same spot so I know exactly what you are talking about.You are getting confused on part description (exhaust flange gasket) which is what you want. You are confusing it with (exhaust manifold gasket) which is what you don't want.

Walker Exhaust Solutions From The Industry Leader
Thanks for the info. I had already viewed the 31372 part at Walker, and the pic shows the gasket perfectly in the same location I am talking about.

What I think is happening is that the same gasket that goes between the converter and exhaust manifold is the same gasket that goes on at the converter to rear pipe/muffler. It is a silvery metal gasket that is tapered.

That is what is confusing me. I thought they would be different.

But when you say, "exhaust manifold gasket", that strikes me as the gasket that would go between the exhaust side of the engine and the exhaust manifold - right in front of the "heat shield" - actually on the engine. This is another source of confusion for me. In this case then, what is the actual name for the gasket that goes from the converter to the exhaust manifold, up at the top of the converter?

Thanks for your patience, I have a very broad learning curve in these matters!