View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
7.3 Ex
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post 6 Piston Caliper Big Brake Kits

Swapping to 2006 axles yielded a welcome improvement in braking. My pedal has always felt soft and squishy but would at least lock up my large tires. My brakes finally need replacing after years of hard use. The truck alone weighs 10,500 lbs on a scale so it is very heavy and with 37" tires and lots of towing I am seeking an upgrade since I have never been satisfied with the performance. Any time I drive a gas powered car I accidentally slam the brakes because I'm used to have depress with such great pressure.

Today I was towing the lightest of the 3 trailers I regularly pull at around 4,000 lbs. At most I tend to gross near 30,000 lbs towing through the Rocky Mountains as far as roughly 4,000 miles like to Alaska. I have never had a lack of braking capability while towing heavy loads but this trailer has no brakes and when I did a brake test I could barely slow my rig. Very much proved I need an upgrade, the exhaust brake can only do so much.

I am very interested in the AP Racing 6 Piston Big Brake Kit Stillen offers for my 2006 4x4 Super Duty axles. My concerns regard fitment of their larger 15" rotors in my 17" wheels and the strength of their 2 piece rotor design.

STILLEN : AP Racing AP Racing 6-Piston Big Brake Kits

I am also interested in the offerings from SSBC. On their website I can only find one upgrade for calipers to a 6 piston design that uses only stock sized rotors. I know they make larger calipers like the Force 10 but they don't seem to have parts ready to bolt on to my axles.

SSBC :: A193-2

If I could afford anything I would go with Boss Brakes. TCE Performance has an impressive 16" rotor and 6 piston Wilwood caliper kit for front and rear that is also beyond budget reality. Stillen and SSBC kits only upgrade the front calipers. I would love to be able to upgrade with just a few hundred dollars but I like to get the right thing the first time so I'd rather spend now once if it's worthwhile.

I'm currently leaning toward the AP Racing kit because of the larger rotors combined with 6 piston calipers. From what I've read on FTE I'd like to use cryogenically treated rotors. I don't know if chamfered drilled and slotted rotors are durable enough for how hard I use my brakes with such heavy loads or if I should just go with slotted rotors. Sounds like Hawk pads are the way to go in the rear with whatever rotors I choose, perhaps Powerslots.

Is anyone out there running any of these big brake kits who can comment on the value of their braking improvement, quality, reliability, and durability? Does the master cylinder rod adjustment work on hydroboost systems to increase pedal firmness? I have a Vanco hydroboost. I've been told that upgrading to braided stainless steel brake lines will also greatly improve brake firmness and response by eliminating hose expansion. Has that proven true for Super Duty trucks?