Thread: 300-6 build
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Sure, but other members have what I call "realistic builds", including you and Justin and several more. Flashy has a beast, sure, but most aren't going to be so radical in their 300 build. Besides that, Justin told me about getting to ride with you. He said in a blink of an eye you were going 80 mph, and still pushing hard.
Ya know, though, if you look at what Col. Flashman did with his 300 it's not all that radical based on the specs:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ml#post2912007

300 H.P. @ 4600 rpm & 400 Torque @ 3200 rpm w/ a 10 to 1 C.R.
It idels @ 675 & is smooth as glass, a quarter was placed on top of the Valve Cover & it Did Not move Nor rattle @ least on the stand anyway.

Ross Pistons 4.060
Hastings Power Flex Rings .060
Federal Mogul Mains .020 Under
Clevite Performance Bearings Std.
Federal Mogul Cam Bearings Std.
Melling Torque Cam
Melling H.V. Oli Pump
Eagle H-beam Rods 6.300 2.100 Rod Journal
Crane Gold Race Roller rockers
ARP Main Stud Kit, Rocker Studs,
Fisher International Ballancer
Bore 4.060
Power Hone 4.060
Full P&P Intake & Exhaust
Performance valve job
Performance Balance job on Steele Crank w/ in 7 grams
Grind Rod Journals to 2.100
Plumb Intake for Heat via Water Pump
Deck Block to Square
Align hone to Factory specs
Deck block for Zero Deck
Offenhauser C Intake (thinking of going to a D/P)
Holley 1850 600 CFM
S.S. Borla 2 into 2 Header
8' of 3" tubes attached to Flowmaster 40's
4 Core Desert Radiator mated w/ the Original Radiator Housing
2 1,200 CPU Electric Fans, on @ 180*, off @ 170* mounted diaginally
MSD 6A Eclectronics Package & Coil
Mid 70's Ford Electronic Ignition (the mallory wouldn't fit?!.)

So the 10:1 forged pistons are a bit more than most folks would do. The crank was ground to add ~10 ci of stroke - which shouldn't make a huge difference. Premium balancer, S/S headers are pricey but aren't going to make a difference in performance. And he's running a beefy exhaust system.

Other than that it's pretty much standard performance machine work. That Melling cam is mild too - ~206 degrees duration at .050" IIRC. The only real variable is the head and how it flows.

I wouldn't mind seeing a chassis dyno follow-up for his combo either. It's hard to imagine a normally aspirated 300 (or 316) cranking out 400 lb/ft of torque with a relatively mild cam. Not calling anyone a liar, just seems a bit high.

It'd be nice to see dyno sheets from everyone who's hopped up their 300 for that matter. Maybe once the weather warms up a bit I'll get the ball rolling and cough up $100 for some dyno time to see what the Offy C and EFI manifolds bring to the party.

Anyway, a nice six doesn't have to break the bank. Just be realistic about your expectations.