View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Why couldn't you do something similar with new Mustang parts? New cars use a disk brake hat without the integral hub like it used to be.

All you have to do is turn down your drum brake hub to fit inside the disk brake hat, and fab up a couple of caliper brackets. Then you'll have an all Ford disk brake kit. Camaros use a similar set-up to put C-5 and C-6 brakes on early models. The only problem is you will have to run 16-18 inch rims depending on what model you snag your brakes from.
Yep you could but the issue is if tazcliff wants to keep the stock bolt pattern for the truck then the Mustang rotor won't fit. The trucks bolt pattern is 5x 5 1/2". While the Mustangs is 5x 4 1/2". If he wanted to change to the car bolt pattern I suppose the sock hubs might be able to be redrilled to the smaller pattern. But that would be a job for a machine shop.

What I think would be possible would be to run a 73-79 F150 2wd front hub/rotor assemblies. Then adapt the late model Mustang PBR front calipers by building some custom mounting brackets. You would have to do some searching/checking to make sure the F150 rotor width will work with the PBR calipers.

The Mustang PBR calipers mount with two bolts on a flat surface. So it should be pretty easy to make up a bracket to adapt them to the spindles.

Here's a break down pic.

Here's a pic of a pair of the calipers( the owner polished them ) .

I can't see any reason this wouldn't be doable. You would need the spindle adapters to run the F150 rotors though.