View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by RLBrown502
My reasoning for using additives under warranty is because I am thinking of the long term wear on the motor after the warranty is up.
My concern is what Ford would think about that "additive" and if they would honor the warranty with it. Something tells me they won't.

Originally Posted by RLBrown502
BTW, what was the mileage and final analysis on your Brother-in-law's motors? Reason I am asking is because I have always had concerns with the over use of an additive, and also its beginning use in a higher mileage motor.
Both motors suffered from catastrophic oil pressure loss. One, an I6-300 with around 80K miles spun a MAIN bearing. The other, a 351W with very high miles (>150K) lived, but never ever stopped ticking/knocking afterwards and went to the scrap yard before it blew up on it's own. He was religious about oil changes on the I6-300, so I can't imagine anything was building up inside the engine for the additive to break loose and cause problems.

But either way, they both seemed to have oil pump bypass valve problems within a few weeks, NOT RIGHT AWAY.

What I'm really concerned about is WARRANTY. Unless Ford says it's OK in the owner's manual, STAY AWAY. Any decent oil will be "stable" enough between oil changes.