View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by eJohnson
First post is reviving an old thread.

My alt went out today and I was able to remove it and replace it with no issues....except one. The belt wouldn't go back on. Cranked the tensioner pulley to the max and the belt was too tight to fit around pulleys. I checked and rechecked the alignment of the belt and it was all good. Tried going over the alt pulley and tried to push the belt under the idler pulley to no avail.

Now the truck is sitting in a parking lot until tomorrow. There is very little on this topic on the web. I found this thread and thought maybe I could get some help. Is this only a problem when you have a non-OEM tensioner? All the belts listed seem to show 88.25". It makes sense that a longer belt would fit, but why so few posts about it? I would think that if it was widespread, we could find more info about it. The shop that replaced my tensioner last year got this belt on. They had to have pried it on.

Any thoughts? thanks!
Welcome to FTE.

Sounds like the replacement alternator has a larger diameter pully on it, if using the same belt & it now won't go back on.

If the replacement alternator pully is the same dia, are you certain you have the correct length serp belt (see post #10) & your first laying the belt correctly on all the walled pullys, then relaxing the belts tension by moving the tensioner, so you can lastly slip the smooth backside of the serp belt onto the walless idler pully????