View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
rpoitras
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called my local dealership parts department today to check if there were more than one amplifier available for the MKX -- one for the vehicle with the DVD player and one without. I explained why and he gave me a number to call to get more information. I explained what was happening to this other guy and he confirmed that 5.1 and Subwoofer should definitely be enabled on the radio if you have those options. I told him about the other post/theory that some dealership had replaced the amp (no-DVD option to DVD option) for someone and that supposedly fixed the issue and he didn't believe it at all. He said that a) the amps are the same with or without the DVD player, and b) the subwoofer is pass-through anyway meaning the radio amp does not power the sub, the separate subwoofer amp does, so why would a different radio amp make any difference since the signal for the sub is simply being passed through to the rear subwoofer amp. This makes sense to me since apparently there are two amps: one behind the radio that powers the regular speakers and the other that is attached to the housing of the subwoofer box itself that powers it.

So, although I'm finding out more information I'm still not positive about the solution. It will cost $100 to reprogram the radio, plus shipping, plus I'll be out of a radio during that time. And this is to simply enable one or two options on a radio that should have already been enabled and I'm not even sure if that will fix it.

05v10, if you (or anyone else with the MKX reading this) could do a quick check of that screen and post up the results it would help greatly. If your options are disabled as well then I will definitely send my radio out for programming and see if that fixes it. If yours are enabled then it points to one of the amps as the likely culprit. This is pretty frustrating.