View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlton
Clay
Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about, I also F600 (79 dump 370 cid) with brake problems. I got a tell you I am intimidated by the size, I have done brakes on my ¾ and 1 ton but I can lift those drums, everything on the truck is super-sized.
I need to replace the vacuum booster (on the frame under the cab) it is badly rotted, any idea how much I should be looking to spend? Also where to find one?
Thanks
Dave
If anyone needs manuals, I got a complete set of service manuals from
Bob Johnson's Auto Literature
92 Blandin Avenue
Framingham, MA 01702-7072
(508-872-9173)
Hi Dave,
On the money end I really don't know. I repair trucks for a living but rarely see the bills. I would suggest you look around for truck parts vendors in your area. A lot of truck spring shops also carry brake parts and would be a good place to start. Green_Monster posted a link that I haven't tried yet that may be a good source. If the parts houses near you don't carry brake components ask if they can recommend a supplier. There has been a lot of consolidation in the aftermarket parts industry over the last decade and most of the outfits work together to keep customers happy. Forget the chain parts stores such as Autozone. No disrespect intended toward them but you need someone who knows medium-heavy trucks not cars.

Larger trucks can be intimidating but after awhile you'll get so used to it you won't give it a second thought. Be sure to use jacks and stands that are rated heavy enough to handle the weight. The rear drums on your truck weigh around 175 lbs each. You can use a car floor jack to lift them. It takes a bit of balancing but it saves your back.

Also a few posts back I mentioned a brake adjusting tool made by Snap On Tools. They still list it in their catalog. Snap On number is S9523. Snap On says it's for GM trucks but I've used mine on Ford, Dodge and IHC also.