View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 12:59 AM
V.Eight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Brake Problem

Originally Posted by Herrdon
I'm not sure about the '95, but on my '99 there are three sensors. One on each front wheel, and one on top of the differential. The two fronts are held in place by a single 8mm bolt. Remove the bolt, and the sensor will pull straight out. It has a long cylinder (about 1-1/2 inches long), and a second shorter cylinder that the bolt goes through. Wiggle the sensor while pulling straight out. The wire is about 2 feet long, and connects near the bumper...disconnect by pulling straight down and squeezing the holder clip.

The rear sensor mounts on top of the differential with a 10mm bolt. It comes out at a forward angle. There is an o-ring on it, so it takes a little more wiggle to get out. The wire connects right at the sensor.

Front sensors: $24.95 each at dealership

Rear sensor: $10.99 at dealership

Like I said, I don't know if the '95s use the same sensors or mounts...hope this helps.

Don.
Thanks for this Information. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4.6. I wondered if I was having ABS issues, but wasn't sure since the roads have been icy. Last year I actually hit someone because of the ABS taking to long for me to stop. Same deal today (but didn't hit anyone). Darn near slid right into a busy intersection. When this happened today I noticed the brakes ped didn't go down very far before the ABS kicked in. Once stopped the brake ped went down further. I'm going to replace these sensors, I'm sure this is what the issue is. Thanks again!!!