View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fminperry
Can anyone explain what exactly you purchased? Or explain how the system works? How did you identify the bad sensor? By a broken band, etc? Was this discovered when you got new 'sneaks' for your truck? I have a 2007 EL with the same issue. (recent vehicle purchase so I am not famialiar with the system TPMS)
Sensor warn illuminated and message on start up. However, all tires maintain proper pressure and my mechanic even double checked the spare tire thinking that might cause this!!!
My scenario was different then whats been happening on the boards. I knew I had a bad sensor when my left rear looked like a pin cushion from all the roofing nails that spilled on the roadway. When I hit the nails, I got lucky and only one tire was hit. I couldn't pull off safely fast enough , so I knew I would probably have problems with the sensor. When getting new shoes I found out my sensor and band snapped. I attempted to use a new strap with the old sensor and was keeping the fingers crossed so wouldn't need to replace it. Surely enough that lasted about a week. So I ordered a new sensor.

About your problem. I had issues with the TPMS when I was just using air and I've had far fewer if any when I switched from air to nitrogen filled tires. When I had air the tires seem to fluctuate the pressure thus tripping the sensors. Since I've had the nitrogen I rarely need to get them filled and no problems with the tpms.

Also did your mechanic use a device to check the sensors? You don't need to take off the tires to do this. The device will read if the sensors are working properly or not.

Sorry I can't be more of help. But you do have some great people here that can help. You may want to record a little history of when and what the truck is doing when your sensors trip. The more info you post, the better it will be for someone to help you out.