Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
tayous1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Ok. Just saw your original post...

"Originally Posted by tayous1
I been having a little problem with my truck when I drive it down the road it sounds like someone placed a baseball card in the spokes of a bike ... Other weird thing is it stops making the noise when I turn on the 4x4. Yet when I turn the 4x4 on the rear tire makes a thud sound."

Originally, you said it stops when you put it in 4WD. Now you say it only happens while in 4WD. I’m confused. The thud is normal. It's just the transfer engaging (as long as it's not a major THUD!).

The card in the spokes noise (while in 2WD) is symptomatic of a bad IWE solenoid, a bad check valve in the vacuum line or a bad IWE actuator on one of the front hubs.

A card in the spokes noise while in 4WD (4X4) coming from the left rear is just weird. I have no clue. Sorry.

Maybe XJCamaro or TN 150 have an idea. Good luck.
It use to do the spoke noise in 2wd then one day it stopped. About a week after it stopped I bought the IWE replaced it and took the truck around the block there was no noise unless I came to a stop then tried to speed up. Today with the ground covered in snow in the drive way I did notice that in 4wd that it looked like that rear tire was the only one spinning and throwing snow. I did this with the door open and I'm sure it came from that tire. It's like I only have 4wd in three of my tires. I notice that the side that was sliding all day when I made turns today.

I also know I need to replay the tires also pulling my RV really took a lot of tread off them. Most because I was to lazy and did not change the air presser back down to 55psi from the 75psi I had them at when I was pulling. Tires have maybe 10K or so on them and all 4 need to be replaced.