View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
jaytp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 expedition driver side heated seat not working

After looking at a ton of these posts, I pulled my driver side seat out and brought it in the house. I took the seat cover off the bottom part only to see that mine has two TED's( heating elements) one in the seat bottom and one in the seat back with air ducts built into the seat coushins that heats up and a fan that blows air over them and into the seat back and bottom. I was expecting to see a burnt wire in the heating element like all the other posts show. I found an article
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...sb04-26-19.pdf

I went thru the steps and everything worked as far as ohms and such. So, I decided to pull the passengers side seat since it works fine and start swapping stuff one at a time as a process of elimination. I also found a couple of chilton manual climate controled seat wiring diagrams. I would like to attach them but do not know how, if you want them let me know and I will send them to you. The first swap was the fan, the driverside will spin freely and there are no broken wires and had voltage going to both sides of the wiring plug. But the problem is that it is a 4 wire fan, I put 12 volts to the black(-) and red(+) but it would not spin, I was thinking that those other 2 wires must do something to control the motor operation. So, I just went ahead and installed the passenger side fan on the driverside and it worked perfectly. Mine heater switch on the console would only stay lit for about 3 seconds. I even took a risk and plugged the drivers side into the passenger side and it still did not work. I guess I got lucky and the first thing I swapped was the problem. Now I am just looking for a new fan for the passenger side.