View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
aricanderson
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what my rocker arms look like. Thats not my engine although its similar. Its just one nut on the top. I dont have a bleed down wrench.

This is what i was looking at from autozone.com's repair guide

GASOLINE V8 - ALTERNATE PROCEDURE

Follow Step 1 of the preferred procedure given above, but instead of collapsing the lifter as in Step 2, loosen the rocker retaining nut until there is endplay present in the pushrod; then tighten the nut to remove all pushrod-to-rocker arm clearance. When the pushrod-to-rocker arm clearance has been eliminated, tighten the stud nut an additional <SUP>3</SUP> / <SUB>4</SUB> turn to place the lifter plunger in the desired operating range.
Repeat this procedure for all of the cylinders, using the firing order sequence as a guide. It takes <SUP>1</SUP> / <SUB>4</SUB> turn of the crankshaft to bring the next piston in the firing order sequence up to TDC at the end of its compression stroke. Collapsed Tappet Gap Clearance:

Allowable: 0.071-0.193 inch (1.8-4.9mm)

Desired: 0.096-0.165 inch (2.4-4.2mm)

Should i even worry about the clearance, or are they talking about a clearance somewhere else?

What i'm concerned with is that the rocker arms seem loose to me, although i don't want to tighten them too much. I can move the rocker arm side to side a little. I just don't think im getting the power that i should. and i'm getting some weird exhaust noise or valve chatter, im not sure which one though.

Should i just loosen all rocker arm and then go to zero lash and tighten 3/4 a turn? How do i know what type rocker arms i have? I know they are not rollers.