View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 07:02 AM
tlk401
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on fuel line quick connect repair

I posted a message a few weeks ago about repairing the quick connect fuel lines found on many Ford and Mazda vehicles. I was attempting to replace my fuel filter and simply could not get one side of the fuel filter to come loose no way no how. I was asking if anyone new where I could find a replacement fitting or repair kit. Well, NAPA auto stores sells a whole line of these for virtually any vehicle. The kit contains the quick connect fitting attached to about 18 inches of fuel line and a connecting barb for splicing the fuel lines together. You have to know your existing nylon fuel line size as they come in various sizes.

I removed my fuel filter Sunday afternoon by cutting my existing short seciton of nylon fuel line and disconnecting the one side I could. The instructions say to warm the tubing supplied with the kit in warm water and slide the barb in. You also do this to your existing fuel line. No clamps are supplied. The quick-connect fitting worked fine, fit perfectly into the replacement filter and no leaks but the spliced line is another story. The high pressure of the fuel pump is too much for the connection and both sides of the splice leaked. I tried putting small clamps on both sides but it still leaks. My clamps may have been a bit big and I am going to try smaller clamps as soon as I can find some but so far my truck is sitting home, unable to be driven, with a leaking fuel line. Any other ideas on how to stop a leaking fuel line at the splice?