Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Ranger25L153CID
I have rear wheel abs only. Can I still use that limited slip diff from summit? If so that's not a bad price considering the one for my Charger is more than double that. So the only things I need to get is this diff and new bearings for it? I'm going to take it to a shop to get it done. I want make sure I've got everything to get it done before I go to the shop. There is a lot of Rangers at the salvage yards around here so can I just yank it from any with a 7.5 and limited slip if I find one? Do I need anything for it to still retain the rear abs? Also will it effect anything with the speedometer or computer?
ur current carrier should have a ring on it for the abs and should swap over. call and ask summit, they have great customer service. I wouldn't even bother pulling one from a junkyard it will need a full rebuild.

you need:
Limited Slip (summit)
Carrier Bearings (go to ford for them)
Outer Axle seals (Go to ford for them)
Friction Modifier (go to ford for it)
Races (go to ford for them)
80W90 Gear oil
RTV

call summit to see if it works on your application with the abs. I have ABS and it works but i have 4wheel im pretty sure

the backlash should be the same if you're replacing it. mark the shims, which goes on left, which goes on the right. pull the ring gear from old carrier put on new one (onto limited slip, torque each ring gear bolt in series to 77ft/lb and put RED lock tite on them) slide back in place shims in correct side and the lash shoudln't be changed. Slide the axle shafts back in put the c clips back on put BLUE lock tite on the center pin place the caps back on with arrows pointing to outside of axle and torque the caps to 77ft/lb then place the dif cover back on with RTV and tighten bolts in series
Place the "caps"