View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 12:03 AM
shamblin123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Liter Fuel Economy

Perhaps someone can help me out with a technical question about my F250 6.0L Truck. I put 35" LT315 75R-16 Toyo Cross-Country tires on my truck when it was one day old. I have about 7000 miles on it so far. The digital LED temperature/fuel-mileage/miles-to-empty guage shows I'm getting only 10-miles per gallon. If that is close to normal or actual, then I feel ripped off to get such horrible gas mileage. I was expecting around 13 to 15 mpg new and 18 to 20 mpg after about 35,000 miles (break-in).

I'm stumped, and so is the shop foreman at the Ford dealership. They can't reprogram my truck's computer because Ford's computer program software only goes up to size 285 tires. I'm just wondering if my tires are a 'big' contributer to my lousy fuel economy? Is 10-MPG normal for a new 6.0 liter diesel truck? I'm sure that the digital fuel economy readout may be somewhat skewed by the larger tires, but I can really tell that I'm sucking the fuel down.

My brother has a Black F250 7.3 liter diesel that looks almost identical to mine. However, he gets 17 mpg with his truck. Is there a solution to my delimna of lousy fuel economy? Is this normal? Everything on my 6.0L is completely stock with the exception of the 35" tires I mentioned and I also added a leaf to each 4 corners which raised it up about 2.5 to 3 inches.

Thank all of you for your comments.

Scott
scottshamblin(No Email Addresses In Posts!)