View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 07:56 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a machinist mate on real steamers in the Navy for a long time. What I learned about running our centrifuges, old delavalle purifiers, was that they don't work worth a squat on cold oil. OIl samples always came back unsat. So we rarely did that. In our lower levels where we had all that stuff we would usually run the purifier on the main sump directly for a minimum of 12 hours a day. That's usually oil running around 160-170 degrees. It worked great there. Then we'd clean the stacked discs at the 12 hour mark. It's amazing the crap that thing would get on hot oil. Also about every 15 -20 minutes we'd have to crack open the water drain on it on hot oil and gallons would run out. Gallons of water. On a cold storage tank, nothing.

Usually about once a month or so we'd pull all the oil from the main engine sump, about 3300 gallons on most of them, and put it in the settling tank and refill it from a clean storage tank. We never got rid of oil on navy ships. It was all recycled by us and reused.
When in the settling tank we'd heat it between 180 and 220 and run the purifier continuously till the samples came back good. And our oil labs onboard were picky. Especially on the carriers and battleship I was on. They also ran samples of our JP5 which was used by the boilers and the aircraft. In the settling tank at that temp with the purifier going we would have to clean it about every 2 hours. That's 3 times a watch and it got to be a pain but it worked great.
Just food for thought on making one get water out. They do work but the temp makes a big difference.

Oh and we never ran filters. We had a big double strainer on on side of the lube oil cooler but its holes were about 1/8 inch each. It was just big strainer baskets. If we had the main engine open or had made repairs after a wiped bearing then we would run muslin bags in the strainer baskets untill we were sure nothing was left in the oil but that is the only time we had filters. A properly working centrifuge is good enough. It made 3 of my ships run past the 50 year mark with millions and millions of miles on them. They would still be running now if they weren't museums.