View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
72 F-100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any kind of upgrade in a cam from stock will benefit with additional timing.Try setting your initial timing(idle)at 16-18 degrees BTDC.Then make sure your total timing is in the ballpark of 36-38 degrees BTDC.You want the total in around 2800-3000 rpms.To achieve the total,you have to play around with advance springs on the weights to find that sweet happy spot.You also need the right advance bushing to stop the total from going over 38 degrees.They make several size bushings to achieve this goal.In my 30 years of experience with working on motors,I find this setup,especially with upgraded cam to be very effective and beneficial for more performance and power gains.Obviously,if you are running a distributor with vacuum advance,you disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor and block it and then set up your initial timing and then zero in on your total.Make sure to do this procedure at a low rpm so that mechanical advance is not partially activated.Once you get the initial dialed in,move onto the total,and finally reconnect the vacuum advance to a full manifold supply port.This will help out with idle characteristics,fuel mileage,and partial throttle cruise additional advance.(Formula= 16-18 degrees base initial timing + 32-34 mechanical advance for a total of 38-40 degrees total advance + 12-14 degrees of vacuum advance for a total of 50-52 degrees of timing for partial throttle driving = a recipe for optimal engine performance.All engines react differently but this is a fantastic baseline to start from.Many factors come into the scenario as well(compression,duration of cam,carb,motor size)Try some more timing and chime back on here after you performed these experiments and I bet you have felt some power and performance gains.Im glad if I could help.Good luck