View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM
TND
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Cover gasket

So I am replacing the timing cover gasket. It is my first time doing so and seen as I don't have an ALLDATAdiy subscription yet, I am following the directions in this video of someone doing it to a 351w in a 94 bronco which is the same year and motor as my F250 so I figured it would be the same. After getting the pulley for the crank off of the front of the harmonic balancer the video says you have to loosen this bolt on the crank shaft or something.

YouTube - Technical Repair Video Ford 302 5.0, 351W 5.8 Water Pump Timing Cover Removal Pt.2

He says its a 5/16 bolt, but it seems to be 15/16. I don't know what it's called. Anyways, he says you shouldn't pull the harmonic without loosening this bolt. I can't get mine to turn, even with my (weak 260 lbs) impact. I just doused the bolt with WD-40 and am letting it sit. I will hit it again with the impact shortly.

I guess my question is; do I really need to get this loose if i want to pull the harmonic? If so, how far do I need to get it? In the video, after it turns under the power of his impact he seems to just leave it alone.

Thanks!