View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone.
This has been a really frustrating situation, since my '81 is still down for the count (waiting on money to repair the valve train), and now the '84 decides to develop an engine knock.
I can't afford to fix either, and I can't stop driving the '84 because then I'm out of a vehicle. ((They need a smiley for pulling your hair out.))

Okay, venting aside.

Glad to hear that a rod bearing isn't difficult to repair. Is that the same case if it's a main bearing? I would think the crank would need to be removed if it was, which would require the timing cover removed, timing gear pulled, etc.

I tried listening to the fuel pump, but the sound is coming more from the rear of the engine, around the 4 / 5 cylinder.

It's also a manual transmission.

I agree that I'd definitely like to know why the bearing failed. Last thing I want is it happening again. I don't know much about the history of the engine other than it was well taken care of, so I'm curious why this would have happened. I don't know if its ever been rebuilt.
I also didn't think to keep the old oil filter to look through... Wish I had.

Alright...so jack up the engine, drop the oil pan, remove it, feel for loose bearing caps, see what caused the problem, check for crank damage (and hope), replace bearings. Put back together.

I'll be sure to keep the surfaces nice and dry until they're installed. Other tricks while installing? Is there something to keep them from turning?