View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by themdgx
Hi There. Thanks for these posts. They're helping me understand some things about my 96 b2300 leak that I'm seeing along the sides and back of my oil pan.

I'll try the dye, and the seal conditioner is worth a shot, too.

My truck is at 150k. Anyone know if using full synthetic oil might worsen a leak like this? I could switch to conventional, or a blend. I'm also using 5w30. Maybe a thicker oil should be used?

If something needs to be replaced (seals, etc), I'm in. But I want to take steps to discover what it is, and try to alleviate the leak if possible.
Seeing as how you say the sides of the oil pan are showing signs of leaking, make sure your PCV valve isn't clogged up & not working, as that along with more blow-by from worn piston rings, can cause an over pressure condition in the crankcase & cause seals & gaskets to blow out, or weep.

If the PCV valve checks out & elevated blow by isn't a problem, check the pan fastners torque value & evenly torque them up to spec & see what happens.

Syntetic crankcase lubes aren't likely to help an oil leak problem, but a dino "high mileage" recipe, in the specified viscosity range might help, if the problem is caused by old, hard, shrunken, rubber seals & isn't too bad.

Consider trying a high milege recipe oil, rather than an after market "top treat" additive, that might upset the crank case lubes synergy, or over soften a gasket or seal & cause it to blow out.

More thoughts for pondering, let us know how it goes.