View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 AM
PERFICUT L&L
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week while driving back from a job, the truck became super hot. Noticed it immediately and pulled off to the side of the road. The air filter indicator was on. As soon as I opend the hood a puff of steam came out. The coolant reservoir was empty, but the engine temp immediately dropped back to to normal. I let the engine cool for while. Then I drove it to my shop (approx 3 miles) The engine temperature never went higher than normal after that. After we got to the shop we let the engine cool down then added some antifreeze. It took almost 2 jugs. We let the engine run for about 20 mins or so to warm back up, then added about 1/4 of a jug to top it off.

We knew we had some ICP issues with power surges so we picked one up at ford and tried our best to change it out ourselves but were not able to get access to it. I didnt want to tear the truck apart completely not knowing what I was doing so after about an hour or so of trying to locate the ICP sensor we gave up and figured we would just take the truck in to the mechanic to do.

The next morning I got in the truck and drove about a mile to the 7-11. Seemed to run fine. While in 7-11 the clerk noticed a lot of smoke outside and asked if that was my truck. I looked, and sure enough, the truck was blowing out huge amounts of white smoke. I drove the truck to my mechanics (3-4 miles) but he was not open yet, so I drove the truck back to my shop. Later that morning I drove it back to the machanics. It seemed to blow smoke heavy at idle. If you excellerated it wasnt as bad. But once you got to crewsing speed 35 or 40 mph, and were no longer excellerating the heavy smoke started again. I did have a few minutes where nothing was coming out at all.

This where we are now.

Mechanic says it has blown head gaskets, and that the EGR cooler and Oil cooler need replacing. Also said that theres a few other things he is going to look at while he has it torn apart that commonly go bad and will get back with me. I've been using this mechanic for several years and he is a prety good friend of mine. I dont have any reason to distrust him or believe he will try to rip me off. I do have some doubts about his knowledge on these 6.0 diesels though.

BTW: we never did get the ICP sensor replaced. Truck has 47k miles