View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
zaaac
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vacuum amplifier repair

I'm working on getting my egr operational in hopes of better fuel economy. All components were in working order except the amplifier. One of the diaphragm's was ripped so I picked up a second one and it had the same problem. I'm thinking this must be a common problem so figured I would try and fix them. I'm sure I could get the egr working without it but think it'll be better with the amplifier.

Here is the vacuum amplifier.

Here is the problem. The black diaphragm is ripped right off the little brass orifice. It should be pressed underneath therefore sealing up both sides separately.

I'm gonna patch it and re-press it under the orifice. You can drive out the orifice with a small nail or punch. Doesn't take much to pop it out.

One small tap and it's out. You can see the part of the diaphragm that was pressed underneath.

Next rough up the diaphragm where the patch will be glued on. I used 180 grit emery cloth.

Then apply rubber cement and let dry. Only takes a couple minutes to dry.

Press on patch.

Back side.

Poke hole in center with a nail.

Push orifice through diaphragm and trim rubber away so it wont fold up under the orifice when you press it back together.

Ready to be pressed back together.

Light tap with the hammer and it's pressed in.

Ready to be screwed together.

Check to make sure it holds vacuum.

Two vacuum amplifier's ready for service.

I hope this will help someone get their egr working like it should. Tomorrow I should have it hooked up, carb leaned out and timing re-curved. I will let you know how I make out.